HELP! Calling all bodgers...

Agency_Scum

Retrobike Rider
Feedback
View
As you may know, I'm riding around this winter on me lovely little road bike. Problem is I've just fitted a lovely new Ultegra headset to replace the completely dead Shimano 600 and it's stackheight's too tall for the locknut...AAGGHH!!!
What can I do? I imagined I could bodge it with threadlock and an overtightened headset nut ( yes, I know it'll kill quick but it's a small price to pay ). Otherwise, anyone know of ( links welcome! ) any low stack 1" headsets or forks with REALLY LONG steerers? Thanks for reading.

Get in touch with Argos. I had a Shimano 600 on my Dyna Tech and when it was resprayed they replaced it with a Tange headset, specifically to replace ultra low stack height headsets.

I would not bodge it, better not to ride than to wreck the thread on the forks.

I am sure they have them on the shelf, you could pick one up on Monday and be sorted.

the tange headset is a good option but i think you might still beable to get the 600, there's a guy called joe whisker who has a shop and distributer company who specializes in new old stock, could have sworn we got one of the 600 headsets off him about 2 or 3 months back for the same reason you need one, he does charge a bit of a premium though. try getting the tange but if you want to go for the 600 let me know and i'll try and find his number on monday, can't remember what his shop is called!

I'd also try a Campagnolo headset - they always seem to have a lower stack height than almost anything else.

If you splash out and buy a Record one then it'll be the last one you buy as it has grease ports on the side - a squirt every month or so sees them go on just about forever.

I know whe I worked in the bike shop, the STX headset was the lowest stack height you could get, partly because of the way the re-entrant top bearings were. They're as cheap as chips, and yo may be able to get away with just changing the top half. They're only about £13.
OR, do you know what a headtube mill and reamer is.?? You use it for facing the headset (critical for the likes of king etc),and if you're particularly insipred, you can easily mill 2mm off each end of you headtubbe alloing you to get another 4 threads engaged. Woudl this be enough.

This is not a bodge. Proper engineering solution. . . ;)

jonnyboy666":3fszzcye said:
the tange headset is a good option but i think you might still beable to get the 600, there's a guy called joe whisker who has a shop and distributer company who specializes in new old stock...... can't remember what his shop is called!

J.D.Whiskers in Hertfordshire. Odd opening hours, slightly odd guys but a retro road haven!

Hmmmm.....good thinking lads. I'll try the threadlock for a day or two and I've a 20 year old Tange Sekei and an unused STX RC in the Tardis ( spares bin visible from space ) as plan Bs.

Back