Retrobike Forum Index

It is currently Sun Dec 04, 2016 7:14 am

* Login   * Register * Search  * FAQ

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2007 9:52 am 
Retro Guru

I think I know the answer anyway....

Not interested in using one of those wedgebolt extenders. I guess the serious option is to have the threaded steel steerer replaced - anyone had this done?

Or is there any inner threaded sleeve that could be mounted over the threaded section with a smooth outer and then a 1 1/8" stem used...?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2007 1:02 pm 
retrobike rider
retrobike rider

I had this issue with my C16R, but I don't understand your point really. You might be able to find a complete crown/1" steerer for your fork if you're lucky, very lucky. But what's actually wrong with threaded? As you say, if threaded isn't strong enough for you, then a quill-to-ahead adapter will be even less strong. Personally I found a superb little Salsa stem for the Orange eventually and ok it weighs a bit more than ahead, but it's fine for me.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2007 1:13 pm 
retrobike rider / Gold Trader
retrobike rider / Gold Trader

Max P wrote:
Or is there any inner threaded sleeve that could be mounted over the threaded section with a smooth outer and then a 1 1/8" stem used...?

there are shims available to mount a 1" 1/8 stem on a 1" threadless steerer

could one of those be of use?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2007 1:39 pm 
Retro Guru

Fork is a standard one piece road fork in steel. Problem is I detest threaded headsets - both for the flex and the crappy way one thing is wedged inside another. In 30 years biking two of the best inventions/refinements IMHO have been A-head and cartridge BBs (+SPD's).

So, you cannot mount an Ahead stem onto a threaded steerer - best option (other than a new fork) would be to get a framebuilder to braze on a new Ahead 1" steerer.

I just wondered if a internally threaded sleeve could be made up with a smooth outer to accept a 1 1/8" (rather than 1") Ahead stem (thus allowing space for the sleeve).

As I say I don't want to use a wedge to Ahead adaptor - worse of all worlds...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2007 2:58 pm 
retrobike rider
retrobike rider

Max P wrote:
Fork is a standard one piece road fork in steel. Problem is I detest threaded headsets - both for the flex and the crappy way one thing is wedged inside another. In 30 years biking two of the best inventions/refinements IMHO have been A-head and cartridge BBs (+SPD's).

I make that three!

Max P wrote:
So, you cannot mount an Ahead stem onto a threaded steerer - best option (other than a new fork) would be to get a framebuilder to braze on a new Ahead 1" steerer. I just wondered if a internally threaded sleeve could be made up with a smooth outer to accept a 1 1/8" (rather than 1") Ahead stem (thus allowing space for the sleeve). As I say I don't want to use a wedge to Ahead adaptor - worse of all worlds...

Why don't you just fit a fork with a longer steerer - surely must be cheaper and stronger than having a part custom built to fine tolerances plus having the existing steerer threaded internally as well as externally?