Aluminium frame repair - who to ask?

mcrocker

Old School Hero
Guys,

I acquired a nice Manitou HT frame from Psychle on here a month or two back but it's got a crack in the BB shell (I did know about it!) and I want to get it fixed. Any recommendations? I'd really like a framebuilder rather than any old aluminium welder and they might need to recut the BB thread.

Any suggestions Surrey/London? Or failing that I'll post it to the right person.

Cheers and happy christmas.

Matthew

The problem there is would the heat applied cause any distortion in the BB shell itself. I do think once an Al frame has cracked repairing it is pointless as it fatiguing and it is likely to crack again at another weak spot. But I am not a frame expert and someone like Argos Cycles should be able to advise you better.

Thanks: but who indeed is Kevin Winter? Or is this a seasonal jape, is he Father Christmas's nephew, closely related to Jack Frost (etc etc)...

Point taken about the repair thing - I agree it might well go in another spot - but it's a great frame and I am well past jumps and big drop-offs. The most action this will get is a leisurely lap of Richmond Park based on recent performance.

I've just googled him also, he seems to have a good name. I have a Marin IFT frame that needs the head tube welding. Very similiar frame I believe to yours.

Small world. If you or I find someone about halfway between us (how about Frimley?) we can try and get a deal done...

Spondon engineering in Derby :)

Legendary motorcycle frame builders who did a lot of work for Pace.

They are bike friendly & come up with some ingeneous ideas.

Another tick for Kevin Winter. A great guy, a little off the radar but his quality is brilliant.

6000 series aluminum is more challenging due to the heat treating. 7000 series requires much less heat treating. Below is some fun reading a frame repairer sent to me. Heat treating is on page 3.

Thunderchild

Attachments

• easton3.JPG
    easton3.JPG
    161.8 KB · Views: 2,477
  • easton2.JPG
    easton2.JPG
    146.5 KB · Views: 2,477
  • easton1.JPG
    easton1.JPG
    93.8 KB · Views: 2,477
Back