crank woes

cce

Retrobike Rider
Gold Trader
Feedback
View
okies - just very excitably opened a package containing NOS Curve cranks, and have been tinkering around with them this evening. hamfistedness has already caused some minor crank-puller related damage about which i'm gutted, but i have a slightly deeper concern about how they sit on the BB axle - it doesnt seem to be very far on

this is the curve

PB150013.JPG

and this is a shimano on the same axle

PB150014.JPG

you can see quite clearly where i think the problem lies - i've always had shimano cranks and they've always sat neatly like the shimano pictured...

there are 2 standarts for square taper BB , maybe curve is not the same as shimano .

curve was a kona brand, so i'd sort of expect them to fit - how much difference is there twixt the campag standard and the shimano one?

That looks pretty much like what Campag cranks look like on a Shimano BB. The good news is that Campag BBs last for ever, and are very cheap. Buy yourself a Veloce one and you'll be laughing. It will cost you about £11.

Whatever you do, don't ride it on the Shimano BB. There's probably only about 3mm of them on the taper and you will trash the cranks - probably after around 200 miles.

I know, I did it. Wrecked a nice set of Athenas some years ago.

a spot of research seems to indicate that all the bikes these were fitted to used a curve-branded bottom bracket of 119mm axle length.

hmmm - now to fire an email off to kona tech and hope there's some old-skool team members there who can help

go me - i'm just not used to the fact that unused cranks dont just slide on and off....

Standard Kona curve cranks used shimano BB, they'll go further on the BB if you wind the crank bolts too tight up as they were quite a soft alloy so be careful not to! They aren't campag or any other type of bb compatible

i've only used hand strength to tighten, and i am pretty weedy.

now - two further questions

what length of axle do i need? bike-alog quotes a 119mm, so i assume 118 would be the kiddie

and two

the granny ring sits flat against the middle ring. literally no space between. how many mm of spacery goodness do i need?

Back