Steel Frame/Fork Battle: Fat vs Kona

Which steel frame/fork combo will you choose?

• Fat & BOI

Votes: 9 47.4%
  • Kona & P2

Votes: 10 52.6%

• Total voters

andrewl

Senior Retro Guru
Feedback
View
Given the amount of Kona love/hate at the moment I thought a more specific question was in order, hence the following steel frame and fork battle:

Fat vs Kona

So in one corner we have the mass produced steel Kona frame (ie no Hots) with a P2, and in the other you have the hand crafted Fat Chance with a Big One Inch Fork (or unicrown if you prefer).

Does the sloping top tube of the Kona and P2 make for a better ride than the more horizontal TT on the Fat with a BOI?

Does the Kona have the racing pedigree their catalogues suggests?

Is the ultimate disapperance of Fat from the MTB scene a reflection of poor ride, poor marketting, business sense or retaining the 1" headtube for too long etc etc...

How many of us have ridden or owned both to even make an informed decision? and does that matter....

Given you can spec each bike with identical parts of your choice which frame fork combination would you prefer to ride?

There's no time for fence sitting, you're at the trail head and the single track awaits, you must choose one or the other!! ;)

cce":ih361chl said:
i've never ridden a fat :(

Don't let that minor fact get stop you from choosing one or the other. I'm sure there are many others in a similar position or have ridden neither who will still make a choice one way or the other.

Walking is not an option you must choose one! :LOL:

Reactions: CTK
FAT V KONA

I owned a greeny/gold cindercone with p2`s with i feel damaged my back back in the early 90`s .
So i sold the frame and bought a fat ,92 monster and now own a yo eddy with big one inch--there is no comparison between the two, both fats are worlds apart from the kona
They handle better==climb better==descend better==feel better. :D

No experience of Fat's, have always been impressed by the ride of Kona's.

I would consider the Fat to be the more aesthetically pleasing, the better crafted and finished and the one I would like to own more as a collector. But to buy a bike, tomorrow and get what you expect you cannot beat a Kona. A 1992 XT equipped Explosif would have the measure of some of the best bikes on the planet. Factor value into the equation and it is a no-brainer!

I've never ridden a Fat but of course would choose that (if I weren't allowed to ride my DOGS BOLX with BOI style fork)

Kona v Fat is a strange comparison indeed, not exactly like with like. I've owned both and it's a straightforward choice for me.

That said, I'm surprised how many have opted for the former.

Back