Bit of advice please

Tranquility Base

Devout Dirtbag
I've always been one for thinking ahead so I've started to consider the bike I'm going to put together for my retirement 'round the world cycle'. I've looked high and low and I keep coming back to using my '93 Kilauea frame.
I'd love to achieve a late-in-life biking adventure with the frame that started me off but will it be strong enough (it's completely rust free)?

Without rust, I'd say so. Somebody I know went all around Argentina on a Lava Dome, round the world is somewhat more ambitious but with steel at least repairs are easy...

I don't know that I could recommend it. The stresses of loaded touring for long distance/time would quickly overcome the designed strength of your frame. Remember, adventure begins when things go wrong...you'd be better off having more experiences than adventures due to cobbed frame repairs in a far off country.

I've sent a few long distance touring frames out and fortunately, the breakdowns they have experienced have always been component/mechanical. Proper equipment and preparation are the key to success.

cheers,

rody

i know of one guy who did Alsaka to Patagonia on a Kona, I have a friend who cycles home from New Zealand on a Cannondale and i toured heavaly on a Clockwork. Take your pick as long as it fits.

The stresses of loaded touring for long distance/time would quickly overcome the designed strength of your frame

I'd agree with this for aluminium, but steel doesn't fatigue in the same way. As long as the frame is sound and the loads placed upon it don't exceed the UTS there shouldn't be a problem. A loaded pannier places a lot less load on a frame than a 14 stone bloke doing a moderate jump.

Check out Chas Roberts of Croydon.

They're a custom frame manufacturer and will build you a bike that's very special and is perfect for the task in hand.

I think there's a piece on their website about a lady who uses a Roberts for her global cycle challenges ???

I wouldn't ride an old frame, i'd take one that's designed for the job and then when you complete your epic journey you can hang it on the wall !

(I had a Roberts as my first proper race mtb and it was amazing!)

I would use the steel frame. If you are somewhere and the will brake something, you can weld it. I "know" globetrotters rinding the world on older steel bikes. E.g. for the dutch: Frank van Rijn.

jonboy":lsfilpyk said:
Check out Chas Roberts of Croydon.

They're a custom frame manufacturer and will build you a bike that's very special and is perfect for the task in hand.

I think there's a piece on their website about a lady who uses a Roberts for her global cycle challenges ???

I wouldn't ride an old frame, i'd take one that's designed for the job and then when you complete your epic journey you can hang it on the wall !

(I had a Roberts as my first proper race mtb and it was amazing!)

Agree with jonboy. The Roberts touring frame is sweet. I'm sure Rody could make a sweet frame too

Back