Retrobike Forum Index

It is currently Mon Dec 05, 2016 6:07 pm

* Login   * Register * Search  * FAQ

Post subject: Bit of advice please
PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2007 10:58 pm 
Devout Dirtbag

I've always been one for thinking ahead so I've started to consider the bike I'm going to put together for my retirement 'round the world cycle'. I've looked high and low and I keep coming back to using my '93 Kilauea frame.
I'd love to achieve a late-in-life biking adventure with the frame that started me off but will it be strong enough (it's completely rust free)?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2007 12:30 am 
Retro Guru

Without rust, I'd say so. Somebody I know went all around Argentina on a Lava Dome, round the world is somewhat more ambitious but with steel at least repairs are easy...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2007 1:11 am 
BoTM Winner
BoTM Winner

I don't know that I could recommend it. The stresses of loaded touring for long distance/time would quickly overcome the designed strength of your frame. Remember, adventure begins when things go wrong...you'd be better off having more experiences than adventures due to cobbed frame repairs in a far off country.

I've sent a few long distance touring frames out and fortunately, the breakdowns they have experienced have always been component/mechanical. Proper equipment and preparation are the key to success.

cheers,

rody

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2007 7:21 am 
South East AEC
South East AEC

i know of one guy who did Alsaka to Patagonia on a Kona, I have a friend who cycles home from New Zealand on a Cannondale and i toured heavaly on a Clockwork. Take your pick as long as it fits.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2007 7:31 am 
Retro Guru

Quote:
The stresses of loaded touring for long distance/time would quickly overcome the designed strength of your frame

I'd agree with this for aluminium, but steel doesn't fatigue in the same way. As long as the frame is sound and the loads placed upon it don't exceed the UTS there shouldn't be a problem. A loaded pannier places a lot less load on a frame than a 14 stone bloke doing a moderate jump.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2007 9:07 pm 
Retro Guru

Check out Chas Roberts of Croydon.

They're a custom frame manufacturer and will build you a bike that's very special and is perfect for the task in hand.

I think there's a piece on their website about a lady who uses a Roberts for her global cycle challenges ???

I wouldn't ride an old frame, i'd take one that's designed for the job and then when you complete your epic journey you can hang it on the wall !

(I had a Roberts as my first proper race mtb and it was amazing!)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2007 11:26 pm 
Retro Guru

I would use the steel frame. If you are somewhere and the will brake something, you can weld it. I "know" globetrotters rinding the world on older steel bikes. E.g. for the dutch: Frank van Rijn.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2007 11:38 pm 
King of the DuckBoard
King of the DuckBoard

jonboy wrote:
Check out Chas Roberts of Croydon.

They're a custom frame manufacturer and will build you a bike that's very special and is perfect for the task in hand.

I think there's a piece on their website about a lady who uses a Roberts for her global cycle challenges ???

I wouldn't ride an old frame, i'd take one that's designed for the job and then when you complete your epic journey you can hang it on the wall !

(I had a Roberts as my first proper race mtb and it was amazing!)

Agree with jonboy. The Roberts touring frame is sweet. I'm sure Rody could make a sweet frame too

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2007 11:17 am 
Devout Dirtbag

Thanks for the advice everyone. Can't afford a custom job so it'll have to be old faithful.