7/8/9 spd

Will Palmer

Retro Guru
Feedback
View
Right - daft question perhaps :oops: , but here goes...

What combination of cassette, freehub body and hub is required to run 8 or 9 cogs at the back?!
I only have 7spd on my two and therefore know nothing of the wonders of 24 and 27spd :shock:

e.g. can I put an 8spd cassette on my existing freehub body or do I need a new freehub, in which case will it fit the hub I have or do I need one with more space between drive side flange and the dropout?

See told you it was daft but I'm about to fit the M900 shifters and shortly (hopefully) new hubs, so I figured now was a good time to clarify :)

Thanks
W

Mmm... much readage will ensue. Something for the train to work tomorrow me thinks - not awake enough to take it in right now LOL!

Thanks for the link Mark!!!

I had 8 speed fairly early on, using a Shimano Ultegra freehub body on an M730 XT hub. ( I was cock of the walk for a week I can tell ya!)

IIRC 8 speed and 9 speed use the same freehub, but the spacing is different so new chain and rings are requred.

Like this?

7-8-9%20speed.jpg

You can also run a 9 speed cassette on a 7S hub by removing one set of cogs - so you get an 8S spaced as 9. It's quite handy as a halfway house to keep some trick old hub going!

without faffing on chopping cassettes and swapping freehub bodies, there are two freehub boby lengths:
7sp and 8 sp.
A 9sp fits on the 8 by using closer cog spacings.

(Essentially so does road 10, but we won't get in to that. . ..) ;)

9 speed cassetes therefore require dedicated narrow chains and shifters. 7 speed humbies will go to 8 as the difference in spacing is enough that the floating jiocky can accomodate it

Back