XTR M950 BB question..

Carsten G

Old School Hero
Hi

I´m rebuilding my retro MTB and found out that my BB aint smooth and it´s only used for a few kilometers (arround 400km) so that´s not impressive.

Now I have to order a new BB but do you know if I can get one in a better quality then the shimano V.1 octalink ?

Looking arround I only find´s the Dura Ace model but my bike uses E-type front mech will the Dura Ace fit perfect, seems that the cheaper models can be bought in normal and E-type but it´s V.2.

The arm´s are XTR M950 and like new so it´s kind of sad if I have to change the hole set just to get something that works perfect.

Cheers
Carsten

There are two different Octalinks, the ES70 or whatever it's called will not work with the M95X arms, you need a proper XTR BB. Check eBay, there's usually a couple on there, though prices are rising.

Hi

I know that there are a version 1 and version 2 and it´s the version 1 I need but I have also read that the Dura Ace always where the one for the XTR arms (the BB are still on the bike so I can´t confirm if that´s the truth).

To be honest ill rater buy at other brand of BB but is it even possible to do that ?

Have been searching on ebay and the net but it seems like there never where made one real Xtr BB for the M950 arms.

There must be an other solution with a quality product that last longer
then the shimano BB.

The sad solution may be a drastic one an open the garbage can and dump the crank in it ... Hopefully there are a better solution out there some of you know about.

Unfortunately there are no other brands making Octalink V1 BBs.

I am currently using a 68-109 Shimano 105 5500 along with XTR M950 crankset and it fits well.

The other options are Shimano Dura Ace 7700 or 7703.

Though they are made for road cranksets it may fit your bike if you're lucky.

Hope it helps!

Carsten G":21e0oehd said:
sad solution may be a drastic one an open the garbage can and dump the crank in it ... Hopefully there are a better solution out there some of you know about.

Well, if it ever comes to that you won't need to dump the M950 cranks in the bin - just sell them on here (preferably to me!)... There will be no shortage of buyers.

Back