Orange Prestige, re issue.

Stick Legs

Gold Trader
Feedback
View
Well, It's official, all the Vit-T's have sold now.

However the Prestige re issue is still available. Quite tempted. What do you lot think of these, shamless pastche or an attempt by Orange to recapture the essence of what it is all about.

I think they're overpriced for what they are - just as the Clockwork re-issue was.

The only thing they'd be interesting for is if you had an old Prestige (or Clockwork) and you were going to build it up as a modern equivilant, then that could be a bit of fun.

If you want a modern British designed steel hardtail then I reckon something from the Dialled/On-One/Cotic/Pastey camp is a better option.

There's nowt nostalgic about a modern replica.

Seems to me like an attempt by Orange to keep things a secret - it's not mentioned on their website, most dealers don't seem to have them for sale and it's not that easy to find any detail on them.

I don't see the point in limited editions myself - if people want to buy a bike, the maker should build as many as there is demand for. And anyway the more they buy in, the less they'll have to pay per unit. But I don't see the sense in building a very small number at high unit cost and then not really marketing them.

Basically Orange have reissued the Clockwork, which has always been a nice bike but is hardly cheap at £320 for a frame, with geometry for a 100mm fork. They've also got the P7, which I'm guessing is a bit burlier than the Prestige and has geometry for a 140mm form, which is pretty full-blooded. So maybe they thought there might be another market for a classic light steel frame, but they've still gone for 100-120mm geometry, so that bit isn't very classic. Probably a very nice frame, but I don't understand what they're up to.

Dave_H":mitbulpi said:
There's nowt nostalgic about a modern replica.

Totally... the only nostalgia you'll feel if you buy a 'replica' Prestige, Stumpjumper, Zaskar or whatever is for the hole in your bank account where the money used to be.

Get an original, less than a third of the price and proper retro. Live the dream Pete, live the dream :LOL:

Anthony":3hek4ily said:
Seems to me like an attempt by Orange to keep things a secret - it's not mentioned on their website, most dealers don't seem to have them for sale and it's not that easy to find any detail on them.

I don't see the point in limited editions myself - if people want to buy a bike, the maker should build as many as there is demand for. And anyway the more they buy in, the less they'll have to pay per unit. But I don't see the sense in building a very small number at high unit cost and then not really marketing them.

Basically Orange have reissued the Clockwork, which has always been a nice bike but is hardly cheap at £320 for a frame, with geometry for a 100mm fork. They've also got the P7, which I'm guessing is a bit burlier than the Prestige and has geometry for a 140mm form, which is pretty full-blooded. So maybe they thought there might be another market for a classic light steel frame, but they've still gone for 100-120mm geometry, so that bit isn't very classic. Probably a very nice frame, but I don't understand what they're up to.

Clockwork frame price compared pretty favourably with similar steel frames IMHO, maybe 5 - 10% more expensive but nothing horrific.

The new Prestige is on p.11 of the Leisure Lakes catalogue, not very well hidden considering the distrubution of that ;)

I applaude Orange for the release of updated versions of older models. It's exactly what i'd been wanting from them for the last 3 - 4 years. Why take a step backwards when disc brakes and 100mm travel forks make mountain biking so much better? The market is obvious; retro is cool but the majority want to buy in to the culture but retain modern sensibilities.

The Prestige Pro at £1150 is perhaps again 5 - 10% above similar specced models from other manufacturers, but hell i'd pay that premium to not have the logo begin with S.

I have a catalogue sat in front of me that asked £375 for a Prestige frame in 1993.

I Like the look of the reissue Prestige. Build it up with some RC31's & some nice bit n bobs & I reckon it'd look wicked :cool:

Awaits flaming ;)

Wuss

Modern bikes are for total wusses, Disc brakes, Riser bars? wadya need brakes for? Modern discs slow you down even when their off, so damned heavy, time back we used to launch ourselves down the local dales (55 degree 800 foot straight down) and try to hit 60 mph on the speedo- the other side slowed you down, if you didn't hit a rabbit hole too. Fun picking the sheep cack outya teeth after also! We must have grinned a lot. If you braked you were off anyway! Still got lumps of DMR V12's in my Shins!
Last time I rode a modern bike, it wandered all over the place and it felt like an old sit up and beg! Can't see why risers have to be so wide!

Back