Opinions please gents. Kona Content.

Stick Legs

Gold Trader
Feedback
View
Kona Koa. Aluminum (7000 series) Kona frame from circa 1996.

Where did it sit in the range? It is bomber orange (actually comes with some Z1's that match) and may be available after christmas.

I am just trying to guage a value as it belongs to a friend of mine and I don't want to rip him off, but I am not going to give him too much either, if you get my drift. ;)

A rough price guide, for an average used example would be much appreciated.

Cheers!

It appears to sit between the Lavadome and the Cindercone in the range.

Hei Hei, Ku, Hot, Kula, Exploisif, AA, Muni Mula, Kilauea, Cinder Cone, Koa, Lava Dome, Fire Mountain, Hahannah is how they are listed on the geometry page of the brochure, this sounds about right to me.

depends - alloy frames are slightly less strong on price than steel. also some years of koa didn't have a replacable dropout

I'm trying to be fair to the guy.

TBH I am thinking, with a custom finish it would make a sweet frame for my (pipedream) 2 speed project. :twisted:

If it's orange, are you sure it isn't a 97 frame such as this?
http://www.konaretro.com/articles/catal ... Page19.jpg

If it is, then although it was the lowest-priced aluminium frame in the 97 Kona range, it was actually a double-butted frame that I believe was identical to the Muni Mula, but sold with cheaper components and a P2 fork. As such, I think it had a bit of a reputation as very much a hard nut's bike.

Personally, I would suggest that a Bomber Z1 is far too long for a frame sold with P2s, but AndrewL would completely disagree with me (see certain other threads).

I would agree that as a frame it is worth less than a Lava Dome, so maybe only £50-60. But if it's a 97, they are very nice-looking bikes and if you could pick up a good condition double-butted Kona in orange for £50, that would be pretty good value.

I'll pull out my 97 tech manual later, but from memory I don't recall it being double butted.

It's pretty much the lowest of the low in the range though and I'd say that £50 is on the high side unless its in great condition (I payed less than £20 for a nice Cindercone frame of similar vintage).

Fork wise price having purchase a few Z1s, it's value will depend on condition model and model year and if it has all the correct parts for the model year, and steerer length.

For a good MY97 Tangerine Dream Z1 with the correct round preload knobs £75-100 is to be expected, although they can be picked up for much less.

andrewl":1oohbkmw said:
I'll pull out my 97 tech manual later, but from memory I don't recall it being double butted.

It's pretty much the lowest of the low in the range though and I'd say that £50 is on the high side unless its in great condition (I payed less than £20 for a nice Cindercone frame of similar vintage).

If you click on the link I provided, the catalogue says it was double-butted and that was what I was relying on. It also says that the frame weight is the same as the Muni Mula, but you'd expect it to be slightly heavier if it wasn't double-butted. Maybe the catalogue is wrong?

Back