ADVICE ON A SALE..

slimjoe

Old School Grand Master
Feedback
View
Anybody out there give me some advice on a sale i had recently? Sold a beautiful US made frame which i got shipped over myself...i had never built it up completely...

I fitted h-set and forks...The unaminous person purchased it from me for around £200-£300 less than i payed for it..My loss!

I recieved an e-mail saying he was less than happy with frame has there was an hair under the lacquer on the rear stay and a potential part that could rub in the future! I have tried to be be sensible and polite...and really thought after exchange of couple more e-mails the buyer had his mind settled on it...

Anyway 4 days later i recieve a mail telling me that i should take it back from him....

I described the item with plenty of pics and to the best of my knowledge.

I apologised for the flaws but i genuinly had never noticed them.

The buyer has threatened me with legal action if i dont take it back! :(

Please, please can i have your unbiased opinions ???

private sale, caveat emptor.

what i'm saying is - you made every effort to be truthful and honest, and didnt try to hide anything. in private sales, it is the buyer's responsibility to ensure they are happy with the item BEFORE purchase.

Sounds to me like cold feet.

If you think you could get as much, or more for the frame then have it back and re sell it. It is not worth legal action (which no one wins really) for the sake of a couple of hundred notes.

If you are sure you have decribed it well, and are not at fault in your own mind, have it back to save the aggro and remember not to deal with the anonymous buyer again.

But be fair, he has spent a fair but of wedge on a bike and was thinking it was perfect, a hair is not what he expected.

Maybe he is a wa***r, maybe not. But I would have it back, ask for good feedback (because you have setteled the matter) and lick my wounds in private.

IMHO ;)

Contentious things stray hairs.

Just imagine the hassle one in your marital bed would cause! :shock:

I say ban 'em before we get any more nasty incidents. :LOL:

2 thoughts:

1) If you take it back, you may have a second chance of making a profit or at least braking evens on another sale.

2) Or, do nothing. If he wants to take legal action it will actually cost him more than he will gain. If he takes you to the small claims court he can't recover his legal cost so it doubt very, very much that he'll do anything. All hot air I think.

I am pretty obsessive about quality and condition etc and I don't know if it'd bother me that much, especially if it wasn't a high price. Were they aware you lost out on what you paid?

I'd take it back if it's easy and won't get damaged in transit to you and let the person sigh a sigh of relief as it sounds to me like it's cold feet too.

Everyone's happy and you'll probably find another buyer (especially if the said frame is the green one i'm thinking of. )

the buyer was ......

Well aware of the money loss on my side.....
I would never even consider selling something i myself wasnt happy with..
I actually thought i was a perfectionist! :(
Im seriously considering just minding my own business in the future...
Use E-BAY to sell stuff....No! Ive had too many pleasant experiences buying and selling on this forum..
Top bunch! :D

Its very easy for someone to find a fault with a second hand item.

Luckily for me I've been pretty lucky (everyone is usually thrilled) but one individual really kicked a stink. It was a completly unfair argument, and quiet ridiculous.

It was pretty obvious he just changed his mind and wanted his money back. I took the item back and suffered a loss on postage.

Nothing was wrong with said item when it was returned - all bollox.

In fact I sold it onto another person and they were thrilled.

If its a fair complaint then yes I have no problem returning/full refund, but when its something very very minor like this....just kind of takes the mick.

Ive bought stuff and rather than kick a stink - I've taken the hit and sold it on again.

I wont sell to my chap again. I do know who he is as he's frequent on here still.

Back