Two speed.

Stick Legs

Gold Trader
Feedback
View
I was thinking of maybe building a 'single' speed.

However I would like to have a different gear for off road than on the road, so I was wondering if the Single speed tension adjusters on the market will take up the slack from a less than 10 tooth difference on the chain set.

I am thinking that 30 - 18 off road and 38 - 18 for the road would be cool, front mech only.

If not then I have some ideas how to make my own, but it would be nice to know if it is an original idea also! :D

I have a 2 speed on my Dave Yates using a Rohloff 2 wheel tensioner I run a 44 and a 34 up front and a 16 at the back (I think - may need to check on that!). I did it for the reasons you are doing it: I have a long rtoad run-in to the nearest off-road so didn't want to twiddle the whole way there!!

Don't really go with the idea personally - either go for a SS or don't... ;)

But many people do use a two speed set up. Usual way is a cassette hub with two cogs and a double front ring. Keep the tooth count the same and the chain length is the same. No need for a derailleur - just manually swop the chain over when you get there...

30/18 (a 43 inch gear) is very low. Most people settle on something around 50 - 55 inches as an all round off-road gear. Your 38/18 will be ok off-road. For the road a 65 - 70 inch gear is more like it ie 42/16.

Thanks for the tips guys.

I was just plucking ratios out of my head then TBH.

The Rholoff thing sounds good though. :D

one of these:

rl8250.jpg

Well that will work too. I used an old LX derailleur at first before the Rohloff. You just need to put a bit of cable between the cable crimp bolt and the bit where the cable goes into the barrel adjuster at the back of the mech to adjust the derailleur to the correct chainline position. I used a bit of brake cable which had the lump of metal at the end of it so the cable doesn't pull through. Hard to describe!!

Or you can make a super cheap one like this, one piece of mild steel, bent, shaped, drilled + one old pulley and a bolt. Cost? Nothing!

Attachments

• orange3.JPG
    orange3.JPG
    32.4 KB · Views: 1,182
Back