Retrobike Forum Index

It is currently Sat Dec 10, 2016 12:31 am

* Login   * Register * Search  * FAQ

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2007 10:15 am 
Retro Guru

The game changing bike for me was my 1998 Intense Uzzi SL.

I'd ridden a few full suss bikes to this point but most were simply not good enough to ride or had terrible reliabilty. As an engineer I wanted something that was properly built and looked like it would last - no plastic bushes/pivots etc and aspring shock - no air!.

It was between a Turner and the Uzzi.

Taking this bike out and slaying everyone on the descent and climbs was a revelation - I built it light at first but ended up bending the wheels and over time the build became a little more hardcore. I have very fond memories of this and it's hanging up - the pivots etc got tired but it could still be built and ridden.

Much as I love hardtails... this bike was the one that made full suss work for me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2007 2:52 pm 
Gold Trader
Gold Trader

Prob my RC300 - despite the fact that the top tube routing is noisy as hell! Always wanted a Pace and now have 3!

Although I also have a soft spot for red Proflex 856 frames - my first "build myself" from frame upwards. Had Pace MXD forks, Tioga revolvers (single ring), AC chain guide, Manitou stem, Answer bars, Magura race-lines. Loved it - but then got skint at uni and had to flog it....
:(

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2007 2:43 am 
retrobike rider / Gold Trader
retrobike rider / Gold Trader

A really difficult question to answer! I think it would be too hard to seperate my mountain bikes as they are so different, and a simple tyre change can alter the performance dramatically. I love the feel of a titanium frame with good front suspension and i've had use of a few combinations of this recipe. Strangely, my best ever bike is actually a road bike that was stolen, and i've been grieving ever since '92. She was a Bianchi with columbus SLX tubing and a full Campagnolo chorus groupset. Gorgeous.