BOTM Suggestion

ashes_mtb

Devout Dirtbag
Hi there,

I know there has been a lot of debate about what makes something retro, and I don't want this to be a debate about definitions.

I was thinking though, it would be nice to acknowledge the milestones bikes on here achieve by doing an annual BOTM or BOTM's for when they reach certain ages. You could have a 10 year BOTM, and 20 year BOTM etc.

So next year, as an example, we could celebrate bikes from '88 and '98, or whatever milestone is thought to be appropriate.

Any thoughts?

Ashes

PS. I'll make it clear, despite one bike celebrating its 10 b'dy and another doing same next year, I haven't posted this for selfish reasons - neither are up to the class of the other rides here!!

'87 Cannondale SM800 (stolen)
'91 Cannondale SE2000 (stolen)
'95 Cannondale M900
'98 Ibis Szazbo
'96 Klein Adroit
'98 Klein Mantra (stolen)
'03 Seven Duo

Looks like you've got most years covered then!

Ooh, not that I can talk, mind :oops:

I like the idea but wont it be pretty difficult to determine the year it belongs to?

If I had a 1992 Kona, and its components are from 1994 (say XT) what does that define it as?

Also gets difficult for bikes that are a little woolly....say a resprayed Bonty that doesnt have its ID stamp on the BB shell?

Think this could be a little tricky.

I do suggest perhaps doing a batch say: 1989-1991, 1992-1994 eras etc

jez-2-many-bikes":24eieyd6 said:

Sounds like a winner to me. Could do a non-shimano one too? (no need to be tooo strict or it'd have limited appeal, but predominantly boutique bling goodness would make for a colourful month, & plenty of suntour/mavic etc is always nice!)

jez-2-many-bikes":nb68pxq4 said:
I like the idea but wont it be pretty difficult to determine the year it belongs to?

If I had a 1992 Kona, and its components are from 1994 (say XT) what does that define it as?

Also gets difficult for bikes that are a little woolly....say a resprayed Bonty that doesnt have its ID stamp on the BB shell?

Think this could be a little tricky.

The frame should be defining aspect. Its all supposed to be a bit of fun so I think there's room for honesty from the punters...

The batch idea is good though too - particularly for where there's not likely to be many from a particular year.

Nice ideas. Always good to look and vote. Non of mine will be in. even if their was a Trimble only month. I'd still lose :LOL: close call which of the two others on this site would win?? I love them both equally plus both the owners are top chaps too :D

Latest posts

Back