What is the difference between 170/175/180mm cranks?

orange71

Retrobike Rider
Gold Trader
Feedback
View
In real terms what do the respective lengths do? I appreciate longer = more leverage, but then how does this affect gearing etc? What length suits what style (general XC, hill climbing etc)? Does your height have any bearing i.e. longer/shorter cranks better for taller/shorter people?

Can't think I've ever seen a 180 crank unless by some boutique maker?? Or am I blind?

I'm quite tall - would it really make a substantial difference? If so how?

180mm for longer legs, and tend to be used on SS to get more leverage.

Have 175mm MTB and 172.5mm road and buggered if I can tell the difference

Read an interview once with a world class time trialist who reckoned the only restriction on crank length was the state of your knees and how much you value them if they are currently OK. It increases the amount the joint has to move along with I suppose torque.

Nearly all decent chainsets are made in 170 - 180 just that 99% of MTB's are specced with 175's. XT comes in 165 - 180

More choices in top end - XTR and Dura Ace comes in 7 lengths.

Didn't the likes of 'cooks bros' & Bullseye make their cranks in odd 'non' standard length. I think my Bullseyes were 176 or 177 and Cooks make a 181. If my memory serves me well

As above, I have 172.5, 175 and 180 cranks and really can't tell the difference. If I had to choose I guess I'd go for 175s

The longer the crank the more leverage but the less comfortable to turn for the short legged. The shorter the crank the more comfortable for short legged but mechanically less efficient for long legged or so it feels to me. Short cranks however give better ground clearance off road and on if riding fixed. Ultimately its down to personal preference.

I like a 180mm crank for leverage and thus more hill climbing power if I'm riding an mtb with sufficient bottom bracket ground clearance but I prefer 165mm cranks on my fixed gear road/trail bike so as to avoid my pedals hitting the dirt when cornering. I'm 6'6" with long legs that find 180mm cranks comfortable and if I could source 185mm cranks for sensible money , I would.

Cheers

Latest posts

Back