Trying to figure out if my friend's KHS is a one-off

FMJ

BoTM Winner
Gold Trader
Feedback
View
Story goes: The bike was given to a friend in 97 by KHS as part of a deal to ride for them. He won the Canada Cup and National DH titles on the bike. At the end of the season, he signed with GT, and I bought the frame for another friend, who built it up with some parts off an old Equipe he had (and my old Judy DHs). He hasn't been able to find a thing on the internet about that particular frame (FXT-LT) with the curved one piec seat/top tube (lot's of their frames used the same rear triangle w. a shorter travel shock). It has no serial number as well. Anyone able to shed any light on it?

a6c6632f.jpg

I don't know if the paint is a one-off, but I'm sure that frame was used on the FXT-Team in the late 1990s.

Fmj, it was a great bike to ride, i think posted mine for you once before.
(see the link below).

http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/viewto ... hlight=khs

The frame you have was the stock colour, the seat mast was moveable, for angle and different heights availiable for riders. (very AMP like) Noleen shock with piggyback was standard equipment, and it was only availiable to the public as a frameset, they did do a full far east production version with a lesser quality alloy tubeset and a less expensive shock without the piggyback, and was availiable as a complete bike only, (well here in the uk anyway).

The one in the pick below was my own team bike custom painted in the team
colours, and displayed at a bike event that i organised, a D/S event, which saw the MBUK crowd and Animal riders attend with there banana yellow Winniebago etc...lol, a great weekend had by all, and im sure they would remember being awaken by the sound of the "Prodigy" blasting at dawn, just ready for bacon butties......lol. (bloody best times of my life.)

If i remember correctly the frame was availiable worldwide as a frameset only for all stores to purchase and retail, although in limited numbers. I think the uk saw about 12 total. If my memory serves the had a retail of about £1500, bitd.

I hope this is of sum help.

P.s sorry for the crap pic of mine i have very few.

FXT team frameset, custom colours, and altered decal colour.
Noleen shock (piggyback)
Colour match medium seatmast (up to 5ft 11)
Marzocchi Junior Ts (dialled to suit, with custom paint and decals)
Mavic D521 rims
Hope brakes (the ones pictured and first installed were formula, and quickly swopped for hope.)
AC (Adventure Components) Head set. (LUSH)
AC cranks, running single AC cnc"d ring)
DMR chain device,
Speed defies gravity saddle ( the arm chair choice...lol)
IRC Missile kevlar tyres
Azonic bar and stem.
XTR rear mech, shifter, chain.
Pedals ( dozens of DMR v12s at one point...lol)
Odi ATTACK grips. (old habits die hard).

this bike was used for several of the scenes in the sprung videos too.

Attachments

• sponsor_team_bikecustom_painted_race_team_colours_123.jpg
    sponsor_team_bikecustom_painted_race_team_colours_123.jpg
    53.3 KB · Views: 1,310
Mate if you want to part with it, please bere me in mind, id like to build that up again for sake of nostalgia, mines long gone, battered bruised, basically did its job and did it well... :cool: (i actually preferred the more active suspension on this than the orange frames we were given at the time. which were and still are single pivot.) It was far more delacate than the orange, which could take far bigger hits, and needed far less spanner time than the khs team due to all the linkages the khs had.

The frame i was given ended up being used more for shorter course D/S events, which i felt suited it better, although it did see sum success in wales and scotland. :oops:

Also check the mounting points for the seat mast regularly if you use it in anger. :?

Does anyone else have one now, or had one in the past....????

Im not sure how you do it where you are.......................???

But this is how we rolled in 1998 (frame production year)

1998 a few minutes from one of the best Uk produced mountain bike videos imho, the short section of this film is awesum (sorry theres that word again).

featuring music from Afrika bambattaa (DJ), the boys Steve Pete, my man Matt Farmer, our very own WonderWoman, CLASS----- D/H. AND ---- D/S, Mudslides, Naked lake leaping, yep you guessed it " THE MALVERN HILLS".

GUYS WATCH THE VIDEO, IF YOUR LATE 90s RETRO, YOU WILL LOVE IT..... :cool:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B-lD3U0_DHg

And a big shout out to Milan for showing me the way, and bringing the UK scene some proper...."Class" Mountain biking videos. Where ever you are in the world right now, i hope you kicking back and enjoying the retro scene like the rest of us...!!!

Thanks Mate, you are a LEGEND................ :cool:

banana yellow Winniebago

/has flashback to repeatedly waiting for the AA in motorway service stations

That thing was epically unreliable. Not great on fuel, either ;)

FMJ":3my5f74b said:
Story goes: The bike was given to a friend in 97 by KHS as part of a deal to ride for them. He won the Canada Cup and National DH titles on the bike. At the end of the season, he signed with GT, and I bought the frame for another friend, who built it up with some parts off an old Equipe he had (and my old Judy DHs). He hasn't been able to find a thing on the internet about that particular frame (FXT-LT) with the curved one piec seat/top tube (lot's of their frames used the same rear triangle w. a shorter travel shock). It has no serial number as well. Anyone able to shed any light on it?

I recall the rider that won on the bike and he was a bit of an ass...

Anyways, a friend of mine that also raced DH in Ontario had the same frame but did lots of mods to it. Wonder if you remember it from bitd? Had a huge new blue ano rocker made for it and used a carnutt shock, had a tab welded for a sachs rear disc and 3X7 hub built on a 24" wheel. Had the early Mr. Dirt fork too. Was pretty cool until it broke at the world cup at Mt. Ste Anne in 97.

Baulz":ukd3fauh said:
I recall the rider that won on the bike and he was a bit of an ass...

Eric? An ass? Surely you jest!

Let's just say Eric knew better than to cross me. Last time I ran into him was at the driving range in Milton in 01.

Baulz":ukd3fauh said:
Anyways, a friend of mine that also raced DH in Ontario had the same frame but did lots of mods to it. Wonder if you remember it from bitd? Had a huge new blue ano rocker made for it and used a carnutt shock, had a tab welded for a sachs rear disc and 3X7 hub built on a 24" wheel. Had the early Mr. Dirt fork too. Was pretty cool until it broke at the world cup at Mt. Ste Anne in 97.

That would have to be Joe? There were 2 guys that ran PBFs (on a Foes and my buddy on his Mountain Cycle DHS), and Joe ran a FAT. I bought the FAT from Joe at the Provincials in 98.

Back