mid 90s Specialized Rockhopper

jonnyred

Dirt Disciple
Today i bought a retro Rockhopper. Bought it for £20 on a whim because i used to ride one back in the early 90s and i loved it.
This one was bought blindly and i let my heart rule my head. Its a wreck.
Took it to a couple of shops and they reckon £175 - £200 to get it going well. OUCH.
my problem now is do i trash it or look around for parts and do it up and get it rideable as cheap as i can, or do i go for a mid life project and full renovate ?

This one has gripshift (which i hate) needs all new cables, front mech, rear mech and casette, and the Ritchey rims are a little worn. I already have an ok flat bar racer, and a Dawes Discovery 601 so wife is already on my case, but i have been looking for one of these for ages and really dont know if its worth the trouble.

Pics to follow

If you have been looking for one for ahes - do it up.

Dont forget though, the shops wouldve quoted you full retail and their own labour charges too.

Retrobike will be your friend here as long as you have some basic skills.

rockhopper

Frame is scratched to hell as well, and just saw a much better one on ebay thats going to go for around £80 i reckon.

trouble is now i feel like im responsible for it, it needs love.

Easy peasy to build up and get riding with the treasure trove of Retrobike and ebay. Never get a bike shop to fix up your bike if you can do it yourself, they have profit margins to consider, you don't ;)

At the very least get it rideable and see if you still love the ride then make a descision.

cant post a pic as my camera takes too large an image, even with the settings turned to small ! i will find something and post a pic.

she is a kind of duck egg blue with black transfers, all alu frame and forks

would like to know what year so i can trace parts,

Back