Retrobike Forum Index

It is currently Fri Dec 09, 2016 9:24 am

* Login   * Register * Search  * FAQ

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 118 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next

Coolwall October 2011 - Entry Level Groupsets
Cool 19%  19%  [ 32 ]
Uncool 81%  81%  [ 140 ]
Total votes : 172
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2011 7:19 pm 
retrobike rider
retrobike rider

Drencrom wrote:
Carge wrote:
I started with 300LX...

Pedantic as it may be, this is about the groupsets below, which weren't a patch on 300-500LX.

Pedantic as this may be, you didn't pick on the last guy to mention that he started with 300LX.
I was quite aware of EXACTLY what the scope was - and was merely suggesting that irrelevant of cool or incool, we all owe a debt to low end groupsets, that enabled us all to get started in this wonderful FRIENDLY sport
:roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2011 7:22 pm 
Retro Guru

OK!!!

:wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2011 2:06 am 
Retro Guru

Drencrom wrote:
jax13 wrote:
my point is simply that in the right situation, on the right bike and with the right reasoning, they can be considered cool by those who appreciate the picture as a whole'

Any examples you can post up?

physical examples - no. and to be honest i can't be bothered scouring the readers bikes section for one either!

as i have repeated many times, to me, a low end frame on low-end parts being ridden hard at any opportunity is cooler by a long chalk than a boutique wall hanger.

they might not ride as nicely, they might not look as good but the way it is being used as a practical instrument determines its appeal to me as i prefer function over form and have a soft spot for the underdog!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2011 7:11 am 
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

As if I would've considered voting anything but uncool; getting struck with a non-drive side arm of a 200gs crankset, sealed the deal. Bollocks- that smarts!

not cool :evil:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2011 10:45 am 
West Midlands Deputy AEC
West Midlands Deputy AEC

When I had my first mountain bike (a townsend) it had 15 speed un-indexed gears. The mustangs of the time were similarly equiped. Then the darker coloured mustangs came out, 18 speed, indexed gears, and above them were bikes with 200GS - cool then? No better than what I had but NOT COOL and not what I aspired to - I gradually replaced my parts with stuff from mid range which was arguable 'not cool' back then, (apart from my XT thumbies and road rear mech :D).

So as for the groupsets 70/100/200GS - Not Cool in my book and thats how I voted.

As for the people that ride them today - Cool.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2011 2:58 pm 
Retro Guru

jax13 wrote:
as i have repeated many times, to me, a low end frame on low-end parts being ridden hard at any opportunity is cooler by a long chalk than a boutique wall hanger.

I'd be inclined to agree, but that doesn't make the groupset itself in anyway cool to me, which is after all what the vote is for.

Low-end bikes is another hot potato altogether, which is my point.

Going by some of the posts it seems that people are taking this as a poll for bikes equipped with 70/100/200GS groupsets, whereas I'm taking the vote to mean the parts themselves - nothing else.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2011 11:12 pm 
Retro Guru

Drencrom wrote:
Going by some of the posts it seems that people are taking this as a poll for bikes equipped with 70/100/200GS groupsets, whereas I'm taking the vote to mean the parts themselves - nothing else.

this is true, although most things we deem cool would actually be uncool if they were sat against a plain background without some form of intended application to use as context for the vote.

oh, and the board has already spoken on this one...

http://www.retrobike.co.uk/?p=1497

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2011 5:21 pm 
retrobike rider / Gold Trader
retrobike rider / Gold Trader

The mash up of bit's (Shimano light action, Lee-chi, SR Sakae, Diacompe) on my Raleigh Maverick was cooler than any of the toilet low rent groupsets that came later.
Having a dad who was an engineer meant anything that was plastic covered steel got cast to one side when choosing (meaning that I got a Holdsworth MTB as it had full Deore MT-60 rather than the Later '89 Courier Comp with some Exage Country parts) too, good advice though.

Carl.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2011 8:39 pm 
Old School Grand Master

dirty grey, skiddy pants uncool.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2011 12:17 am 
Retro Guru

seriously uncool, anything under 300lx was junk that probably put more ppl off cycling than got them interested
now acera-x, mc11 circa 94, works great, looks like m737 kit. 8)

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 118 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next