Method for building retro bikes...??

neilll

Gold Trader
Feedback
View
I am currently adopting a willy nilly approach to sourcing parts for my first retro build...(and having some success)

Is there a suggested route/sequence or shall I just carry on buying random bits left right and center until my bike is finished?

How long do builds generally take? (can you tell im impatient?? :oops: :roll: )

They are never finished in my case .

But from frame only to being rideable depends on your wallet really .

See what you do is find your 'key' part (purple ringle skewer, XTR M900 rear hub, pink cable housing, etc) and build the entire bike around that part.

...joking ;) Depending on how motivated, financially sound, and patient, builds could take anywhere between two months and five years. it depends on how loyal you are to 'period correct' and a certain color scheme...

1) Very patient....almost Zen like... ;) :p
2) Wallet is ready for action :twisted:
3) VERY fussy about 'period correctness' :?
4) Colour scheme....currently in turmoil and not sleeping at night (ok, not quite but getting there :oops: )
5) Realising I have bought something esoteric with unicorn sizes (distinct lack of 1 1/14" stems, forks, headsets and lack of 27.0 seatposts :roll: :roll: :roll:

ameybrook":1gm6zer7 said:
See what you do is find your 'key' part (purple ringle skewer, XTR M900 rear hub, pink cable housing, etc) and build the entire bike around that part.

...joking ;) Depending on how motivated, financially sound, and patient, builds could take anywhere between two months and five years. it depends on how loyal you are to 'period correct' and a certain color scheme...

Some peoples bikes never seem have parts on longer than one or two rides, before they move on. isn't this just evolution, until we find the best combination

Not that I should be telling you , but we're all friends around here right....there's a nice bar Tit one on the bay currently....if only it was black, (but I might get involved in a bidfest to get me build started:LOL:)

fleabay id: 300169680326

One thing ive learned is stay away from here and Ebay on a saturday night after a shed full of ale, It gets expensive :LOL: :LOL:

But my method is to just buy random bits here and there (cheaper the better) and hope they fit.

ameybrook":g6we9qgh said:
make sure you follow these rules

:LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: Just about spat coffee all over my keyboard with some of these (but I agree implicitly)

I guess I mainly started the whole thread cos i've spent the entire day scouring the net with my wallet burning a hole in my pocket and my PayPal account gnashing it's teeth and salivating with pre-kill anticipation, only to draw El Zippo on the parts front :( :( :(

The sensible comments however are very useful :)

Back