Ti frame returned from repair scratched - advice

ishaw

Gold Trader
GT Fan
Feedback
View
I bought a ti dbr apex from here a while ago but the bottle bosses were loose so I sent it away for repair via my lbs who use a trusted supplier.

The repair has been done to a good standard, but, and this is a big but, the frame has come back with loads of scratches, some clear lacquer has been dripped on it, the decals have had something wiped on them that has melted away the colour and there are generally marks and smears all over it.

I'm not a happy bunny so have left it with the lbs who will speak to their supplier about this. I now know who the supplier is, but before naming and shaming, I thought id ask advice on here about what people would do if this happened to them.

Now anger would be fair description of how I'm feeling, especially as I've waited two months to get this back in the condition it didnt leave me in.

I've not got pics of the damage as I didn't take a camera with me, and all I have are the sale pics from the thread here as proof of condition, but some of the new scratches are on parts I don't have pictures of sadly.

What are your rational thoughts on courses of action, as I've many irrational ones and need some clarity.

I'm well gutted as I was looking forward to my first ti bike, and this has taken the gloss off (or added some in the case of the issues the frame now has)

Thanks

Ian

go as high as you can. dont speak to anyone except the owner. threaten outing on every cycling forum you can think of. all the usual stuff really

give them a chance to make good off their own back before getting threatening. a repolish or rebrush and some new gil decals should see it better than when you received it!

cce":8716b3s0 said:
give them a chance to make good off their own back before getting threatening. a repolish or rebrush and some new gil decals should see it better than when you received it!
That's my preferred outcome, as I don't want to do the nastier things unless I'm left with no other options.

I'm still shocked that they could think they would get away with it, as its so obvious - gleaming shiny scratches 2 or 3cms long along the top tube, down tube stays and seat post to name but a few, plus a tiny dent right next to the bosses they repaired, and clear evidence of attempts to polish out the scratches that I assume their stand/clamp left - totally in the opposite direction to the standard finish.

definately as suggested involve the lbs and the supplier but also give them time to rectify but not drag it out..just guessing..7 days? 14 days?

play the reasonable card..look i'm not after aggro i just want it returned to the condition it went to you and the fix that i have paid for

if after a reasonable time span they resolve it to your satisfaction then all well and good

if not your contract is with the lbs and it's those you will need to seek recompense with

good luck and fingers crossed

sylus":28ywgup2 said:
definately as suggested involve the lbs and the supplier but also give them time to rectify but not drag it out..just guessing..7 days? 14 days?

play the reasonable card..look i'm not after aggro i just want it returned to the condition it went to you and the fix that i have paid for

if after a reasonable time span they resolve it to your satisfaction then all well and good

if not your contract is with the lbs and it's those you will need to seek recompense with

good luck and fingers crossed
Thanks for the addvice. I think in relation to your last point, whilst you are right, I think they will need to seek recompense from ther supplier and pass it on to me, which is where I think issues may arise.

The good thing about ti is that it can be buffed up to look like new. Stickers and a dent :twisted: are different. I would be furious.

If you have any pictures of how the frame looked before it went off for repair, then make sure you have them to hand. Take pictures of the frame as it is in it's current state (ie. after it's been repaired). Might be worth putting a copy of today's newspaper next to it so they can see that the pictures are recent.

Get in touch with the repair company (as has been mentioned before, aim for a manager), and say that you have before/after pictures and can prove that the damage was done whilst the frame was in their possession.

Explain that you, as their customer, are well within your rights to expect to have the frame returned to you in the same condition cosmetically as it was sent to them. Get some decals priced up from Gil and ask the repair company to refinish the frame, apply the new decals and re-laquer.

I had the exact same problem with an Intense M1 frame a few years ago. As soon as I was able to prove that they did the damage, they re-stripped and re-sprayed the frame.

Good luck :)

Hi mate,

shitty situation! I can understand Your rage

Like others, I would explain them the facts and givem some time to react acceptable. If they stand up on their point, that they arent aiming You a very big favour now - THEN I would do all possible to flame them

If You´ll need tips for gettin it back to former condition (in the very unexpectable case, they wont do their best), I have a very good place where to get buffing-pads especially for titanium - got my TiLite frame like renewed

So far so good, the repairer has agreed to take the frame back and look over the issues then get in touch to discuss with me directly. Certainly a step in the right direction. I'll keep this thread updated with news as/when, though I hope I don't have to pay the additional courier costs.

Back