Is it always this hard???

ashes_mtb

Devout Dirtbag
My apologies in advance - I'm a bit dejected about my current project and I'm venting....

Bought a GT STS DS frame a few months ago. Always wanted one and jumped at the chance when one came up on the bay.

So far the dramas have been:-

- Advertised as shock not holding air. In actual fact, most of the shock components were missing so rebuild not an option. Prepared to live with it and buy another shock as I really liked the frame.

- Upon removing shock, discovered shock bolt stuffed. Already left feeback so stuck with it. Replaced by bolt from hardware store for now.

- Bought a NOS Rock Shox shock (stoked to fund one as it can be hard to get hold of trunion mount versions needed for the STS) off the bay, but the trunnion peg (for want of a better word) was slightly larger diameter than the original shock so wouldn't fit into the travel spacer.

- Discovered horst link bolt missing - not sure whether it was like that when purchased or if it fell out and rolled somewhere whilst I was working on it.

- Bought new travel spacer and horst link bearing kit from BETD.

- New travel spacer slightly larger than original and would not fit into frame (emailed BETD about this tonight).

- In desperation, attacked the old travel spacer with a drill to enlarge the hole. Worked and managed to fit the new shock.

- Went to fit horst link bearings and found the bearings are slightly larger than original bushing and would not fit (again, emailed BETD about this tonight).

- Discovered shock spring is way too light for me. Is a 700, compared to the standard 650, so surprised that I'm almost bottoming it out.

What I thought was going to be a simple build up has gotten quite difficult.

I'm waiting for advice from BETD before I go any further, there product is great quality so I'm surprised I've had an issue. I should be able to find a local machining shop that can help out though.

If I can't get a stiffer spring made up, I'm considering getting the shock linkage modified to accommodate a standard air shock.

Hopefully I'll get there one day....

Venting over!
Ashes

welcome to the world of 10-15 year old parts :LOL:

can be a nightmare trying to fit/find bits , all part of the fun though ;)

hardtails = easy

suspention = pivots , bolts , bushes , bearings , an endless list of parts to get lost , broken and generally drive you to insanity :D

but when its all done , you can sit back and think .............. f**k that was worth it ;)

I was originally going to build up a steel hardtail but didn't really find much that interested (its difficult living in the most isolated City in the world). I'm really a full suspension kind of guy to be honest anyway, so I couldn't resist the thermoplastic GT when it came up.

Was just staring at the frame and noticed a couple of hairline cracks on the seatstay... Looks like I'll be making good friends at a workshop somewhere soon.

I've always respected all the hard work people on here put into their bikes - even more so now!

Feeling a bit more positive today. The bike fits me ok (frame is a little smaller than ideal), and is starting to look pretty cool. :)

Should have it built up in a week or so, but it will probably take me a month or so to get the suspension rideable.

Attachments

• DSC00099.jpg
    DSC00099.jpg
    136.2 KB · Views: 938
  • DSC00100.jpg
    DSC00100.jpg
    77.1 KB · Views: 938
Hang in there bro, looking good so far!

Just take it easy with the drill though! It is easy to get frustrated and bugger something up when a 2 week wait for the right part to be posted surface from inner mongolia would be the best option. Look forward to seeing the whole bike finished and being used though. :D

Thanks for all the encouragment!!! I'm finishing off my thesis at uni at the moment so a little more stressed than usual at the moment.

Had some luck tonight. Re-read the GT manual (kindly provided by a member of this forum) and realised there might be an old kevlar bushing still stuck in the horst link.

Pulled it apart again and sure enough, there they were, hidden in all the muck (I don't think the previous owner had ever cleaned the bike - could hardly see in there). Very embarrassing nonetheless......

The horst link bearings are now installed, was a piece of cake (full credit to BETD for a great kit!!!).

Off to see a spring manufacturer tomorrow in between thesis writing - things are looking up again :D

Stick with. This a test to see how good your will power is.
Go rigid life is a lot easier. :)

EBAY

Going of subject slightly,you can edit feedback you have allready left on ebay,you can add about another 20 words . :shock:

Back