It is currently Mon Dec 05, 2016 1:35 am

* Login   * Register * Search  * FAQ

Post subject: 1982 Raleigh Trail Rider
PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2011 10:15 am 
North Wales Deputy AEC
North Wales Deputy AEC

Next up -

Raleigh Trail Rider 1982

Hadn't come across this blatantly Breezer-influenced bike before and wonder whether it was actually shown or sold in the UK/Europe, or limited to covering off the 'noise' created by early Joe Breeze frames on the west coast.

Interestingly, 1982 was the year the 'Raleigh USA' rights were bought by Huffy Corp, who were licensed to design and sell Raleigh in the USA with some production going to Bridgestone in Japan. It'd be interesting to track down a 1982 Huffy catalogue.

This was also the year that Raleigh in the UK launched the 'Burner' BMX, going on to sell 500,000 in the next 2 years, hence their lethargic approach to off road design in the UK?

Interesting comments from JB on the design here:

http://mombat.org/MOMBAT/Bikes/1982_Ral ... Rider.html

Despite that, it's still the closest thing a mere mortal will get to an early Breezer, so I'm up for one, especially if built by Bridgestone!

Attachments:
Raleigh Trail Rider 1982.jpg
Raleigh Trail Rider 1982.jpg [ 44.08 KiB | Viewed 740 times ]

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 6:32 pm 
Dirt Disciple

mrkawasaki wrote:
Next up -

Raleigh Trail Rider 1982

Hadn't come across this blatantly Breezer-influenced bike before and wonder whether it was actually shown or sold in the UK/Europe, or limited to covering off the 'noise' created by early Joe Breeze frames on the west coast.

Interestingly, 1982 was the year the 'Raleigh USA' rights were bought by Huffy Corp, who were licensed to design and sell Raleigh in the USA with some production going to Bridgestone in Japan. It'd be interesting to track down a 1982 Huffy catalogue.

This was also the year that Raleigh in the UK launched the 'Burner' BMX, going on to sell 500,000 in the next 2 years, hence their lethargic approach to off road design in the UK?

Interesting comments from JB on the design here:

http://mombat.org/MOMBAT/Bikes/1982_Ral ... Rider.html

Despite that, it's still the closest thing a mere mortal will get to an early Breezer, so I'm up for one, especially if built by Bridgestone!

I remember when Huffy took over Raleigh in the U.S. they basically just funded the
operation..and left 'em alone..using improvements gleemed from Raleigh to improve
Huffy....A few years later...Huffy sold the rights off....

I'm not sure if any of the above,affected Raleigh UK...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 7:46 pm 
Retro Guru

Gratuitous shot I took of JB in his home workshop with #5 of the 10 Series one Breezers, formerly Wendy Cragg's bike- Now owned by Joe, in addition to #1-the blue one-which Joe is donating to the Smithsonian Museum right after the 35th Anniversary of Repack on Oct. 21st. He is gonna clean it up, then get some Repack dirt on it for the museum. Should be a fun ride! Interestingly, those Raleighs are inexpensive bikes-we are about to see what a Series 1 Breezer will bring when I help a friend sell his #6 next month-$$$$!

Attachments:
J1209x806-02140.jpg
J1209x806-02140.jpg [ 138.24 KiB | Viewed 658 times ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 9:29 pm 
North Wales Deputy AEC
North Wales Deputy AEC

^ Should be an interesting sale for sure - will it hit the $12k Yeti C-26 mark I wonder...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 9:51 pm 
Old School Grand Master

Raleigh are one of the true goliaths in cycling history.

What sincere flattery for Mr. Breeze.

:)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 8:29 am 
retrobike rider / Gold Trader
retrobike rider / Gold Trader

mrkawasaki wrote:
^ Should be an interesting sale for sure - will it hit the $12k Yeti C-26 mark I wonder...

It will go way past $12k for sure. My estimate is around double that amount.

Pat is also handling the sale of Otis Guy's Schwinn DX which took part in the original Repack gatherings. It will be interesting to see how much that one goes for too.

Si