Bottom Bracket

letmetalktomark

Retrobike Rider
Gold Trader
Feedback
View
Hi Folks,

I need to get a new bottom bracket for my Kona. It needs to be square taper but I have only found basic shimano ones – Any ideas/help?

Much appreciated,

Mark

:D :D :D

Shimano are reliable , you fit them and forget about them . anything else is going to be assle at some points .

What size? The Shimano UN72/73 is the best square taper BB for the money bar none, can still be found on ebay.

I agree with Max_P, The 71's are good too, I have had one fitted to my Marin since it was new in '94, and I still don't need to change it.

Tim

Mark is right to point this out. Although Shimano are still making XT-level square taper BBs (now called UN-74), they are hard to obtain in the UK (at least online - I haven't tried LBS yet). CambriaBike has them though if you want to import. Even LX-level aren't available online in as many sizes as you'd like to think.

Does anybody know whether Campag BBs with English thread are ok to use with Shimano cranks?

Anthony":4zyjlbv9 said:
Does anybody know whether Campag BBs with English thread are ok to use with Shimano cranks?

they both use a 2degree taper, so I dont see why not. older mavic BBs dont make loads on ebay & have a rep for lasting ages if you need a longer spindle. hell i've got the mother of "long spindles" a NOS campag euclid, 140mm!

Chain Reaction have got UN54s in a fairly comprehensive range of sizes

17473.jpg

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=17473

Campag, Miche and a few others use an ISO taper, Shimano, Suntour etc use JIS taper. There is a small difference in taper profile. They are not 'officially' interchangeable but many people do so with no problems. For instance I use a Campag road chainset on a UN72 - fixed wheel, off-road...zero problems in practical use.

Mounting a ISO on a JIS it will not go on as far, 3-4 mm or so, the opposite is true the other way round.

I believe Tange make (made) some of Shimano's BBs. UN72/73's can still be found on eBay but an alternative is these:

http://www.benscycle.net/index.php?...id=602&zenid=8e316812618a43e02f9f2f315db46b33

Campag chainsets can split if fitted on Simano BBs.

(I've seen it a couple of times but it is a rare occurence)

Never heard of anyone fitting a Shimano chainset on a Campag BB.

Latest posts

Back