Lay-back posts

Anthony

Retrobike Rider
I don’t get it, why do so many people use lay-back posts?

Seems to me lots of people who wouldn’t dream of buying a frame with a ‘relaxed’ 71 deg seat tube angle go and buy one instead with a 73/4 deg angle - but then they fit a lay-back post so that their saddle position relative to the pedals is the same as it would have been with a 71 deg frame.

I know some of them might say a straight post would make their riding position too short, but then doesn’t that just mean they should have chosen a longer frame?

Surely you should get the right length of frame and only adjust lay-back/seat tube angle in relation to how powerful/active a pedalling position you want to have - 74 deg and a straight post being powerful/active, while lay-back or a 70/71 deg seat tube angle (which are equivalent) both give you a less powerful but more relaxed pedalling posture?

Or is this yet another of my many blind spots?

I'm with you on this one.

the only thing is that a lay-back post would allow a more vertical seat-tube an therefore a shorter back-end

Wu-Tangled":3r0trp69 said:
they look better.

Are you blind :!:

I agree with Anthony, I think layback posts look rubbish, and from my experience a layback post is a good way to get a sore back. The seatpost angle is 73deg for an ergonomic reason folks (only those with abnormaly long/short femers would need anything else).

If I see a nice bike with a layback Thompson on it you can be pretty sure the owner is a poser not a rider :twisted:

Plus you can't drop the saddle all the way into the frame for those really sketchy descents :p

messiah":253xp7w6 said:
If I see a nice bike with a layback Thompson on it you can be pretty sure the owner is a poser not a rider :twisted:

Looks like you summed me up there then.

Attachments

• xlm1_195.jpg
    xlm1_195.jpg
    98.1 KB · Views: 1,666
I bought mine as the forks I had at the time were suspension corrected & sat the front end up too much - now I'm on the look out for an inline post but purely because I'm a little too stretched out now. I dont think they look ugly, but each to their own.

I never had any back issues, etc & certainly wouldnt consider myself a poser :p

Just looked at my green jockey wheels & I'll take back that last comment :oops:

as you have said for a frame with a given reach when seated you can achieve this by either a steeper seat tube angle and a layback post or a slacker angle and an in-line. However this does not mean that all is equal because the bottom bracket position swings forward with a slacker seat angle to maintain the same reach, meaning that when your standing up out of the saddle the bike feels shorter than an equivalent frame with a steeper seat angle. Whether this is a good thing or not is up to how you like your bikes to feel.

Ever since way back when, I have always used in line posts. First bought a USE as it was real light. Then realised that my pedalling was much better with a more forward postion.

Now I cannot buy a post unless it is inline. Bear in mind though that none of my backs are of the slack angled variety.

Also, bent posts do just look bent to me :? Not wright.

Wu-Tangled":1d9641c1 said:
Looks like you summed me up there then.

Looks like you've been rumbled Gus!!

messiah":1d9641c1 said:
Plus you can't drop the saddle all the way into the frame for those really sketchy descents

Isn't the above perhaps confusing layback posts e.g. USE Alien, Race Face XY with those with a 'kink' (insert joke of choice here) e.g. Thomson? Surely a regular layback post could drop as far into the frame as an inline?

Back