Not Retro but ; Anyone ride tubeless

dekerfintheshed

Gold Trader
Feedback
View
Just picked up some nice tubeless ready Bonty wheels. Got "normal" tyres on at the mo' but what do I need to run tubeless ? Do I need sealant, special valves etc ?? What are the benefits apart from less weight ?? What's the score with punctures ? Are they really worth it ? :?

First of all tubeless tires weight more, not less. You need a sealant: I use Geax, but there are many around. Advantages? No flats, comfy ride, superior traction, way better downhill performances, more fun. I would never ever go back to tubes, but I ride a hardtail....

We sell Bonty wheelsets and tyres and working in the workshop i have fitted a few sets, the Bontrager tyres with the Bontrager Super juice sealant is brilliant! dead easy to fit and use, get some and try it! if you need any advice PM me

As above but carry spare tube(s) as the sealant will not fix cuts, larger holes and sidewall damage but are brilliant if you're often in 'thorny situations' as I often find myself in. Last ride out I had 5 or six thorns in my tyres and the sealant fixed 'em all!

As for tubeless repair kits I've tried a couple of them and not been impressed so far... unless anyone can recommend one that works well...?

Check this thread on an Australian forum - it gives pretty good instructions on ways to go about it, including DIY approaches.

http://forums.farkin.net/showthread.php?t=86107

I like using sealant and conventional tyres/wheelsets. It gives you the benefits of tubeless without the weight of UST, if you can handle a bit of mess when changing tyres (not ideal if you're swapping from slicks to mtb tyres every week).

My mate SPESHMIKE has just brought some new Mavic wheels for his S-Works, and now just gone to tubeless. He, so far, rates them but has only done 1 ride on them. PM him for advice/comments.

dekerfintheshed said:
how are they comfier with more traction ?? What if you rode over a thorn etc ?? Excuse my ignorance, never seen a tub in the flesh.... :oops:

Right, the sealant repairs holes provoked by thorns (unless it's as big as a nail). The enhanced comfort is due to the fact that you can run lower pressures because pinch flats are very rare.

Tubeless Tires

I have been using the Bontrager tubeless rims on my bike for the last year and a half with no flats in 5000 miles of riding! The Bontrager rims use a tubeless rim strip with a screw-in Presta valve stem. I also use a sealant inside-although it tends to dry out after 6 months or so. As far as pinch flats-there are none as there is no tube to pinch. This allows you to use as little as 32 pounds air pressure in the tires for the rough, rocky bits without worrying about pinch-flatting! The lower air pressure gives a smoother ride and allows the tire to be more compliant and roll over stones rather than spitting them out and leaping sideways over them. Although a lot of the tubeless tires on the market are rather heavy-900 grams and up-I run the MAXXIS HIGH ROLLER which only weighs 680 grams and gives excellent traction. Also remember you don't have 180 grams of tube! The Bontrager rims are lighter than the Mavics as they use a rim strip rather than the sealed doublewall construction.

Back