SRT 800 Gripshift - any good? - POST CLOSED

development_cycle

Gold Trader
Feedback
View
Hello all,

I have never ever used gripshifts in my life, but now find myself building a bike that would have had them.

Before I go and buy some, are they any good to use, durable etc, or should I sacrifice keeping it original for some good old Rapidfire+ units?

Really need some help here.

Cheers
Tim

I've always used gripshift but there are some things you need to know. They are a bit of a love hate thing (have a look at the Gripshift coolwall thread http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/viewto ... shift+cool ):

- They are more prone to being affected by cables clogged with mud - one of those cog hog things usually fixes that or a powerspring in your rear mech
- the x-ray ones seem to be prone to cracking - I have had a few crack rendering them useless
- lower end ones (not the 800's) don't shift brilliantly, some had a plastic widget inside (like a pawl) which didn't engage very well or snapped. Later ones were metal.

on the plus side they're light, quite cheap second hand (as they're not cool *apparently* :roll: ) and from my point of view easier to use inthe cold (just twist your wrist no matter how cold your fingers are!) and you don't rap your knuckles on them like levers.

Some people love them others don't. Very few moving parts compared to RF+ etc, so tend to last well. More than 3 clicks on the left shifter is very useful!

mm interesting entry there from ameybrook!

Ok, so this has been discussed before. I guess I'll have to make a decision then.

If they really are that cheap then I could always get something else if i don't get on with them.

Cheers all.

development_cycle":1lqih64e said:
mm interesting entry there from ameybrook!

I hate those F'n things. Last night, I took a pair of Xrays and stomped them on my garage floor then threw them in the trash. Felt awesome. Seriously.

My Ritchey P-21 came with GripShift, and I went down to the bike shop and asked one of the guys to root around and find me some top-mount thumbies. Forget RF.

He found a packet of NOS Deore XT, and that is what is on my bike now.

When I bought my Zaskar, I specced it with X-rays. I found that as long as you fit the uprated spring in both the shifters and the rear mech and you keep your cables very clean or use Goretex cables, everything worked fine.

They are a little more exposed to damage if you bail and the bike somersaults, but on the flip side everyone hates them so you can pick up spares very cheap.

I'm actually thinking about putting X-rays on the Zas again, the front shifter will be a better match for my Middleburn Duo chainset than a bodge of RF for the rear and a thumby for the front. Mind you, the bike has now been relegated to pretty much 'summer only' duty.

My Parkpre Pro Image came with SRT800 X-rays when new. I would love to find a pair NOS to put back on it when I start to rebuild it. The original ones did crack though, replaced them with XT rapidfire.

Back