Shall I restore my old D,O,G,S,B,O,L,X?

re-buy-cycle

Dirt Disciple
Feedback
View
I've got a few old bikes I'm restoring, one of which is an old Chas Roberts D,O,G,S,B,O,L,X, frame, but on looking into getting it restored, I contacting Chas Roberts cycles themselves, they seemed vague as to what they offer! although they did reply with a quote of £130. for stripping,prep & one colour coating, and extra £25. for a second colour, the frame is 2 colour & they don't seem to be able to answer the question 'Will you be able to do the decals/transfers/stencils?'
So the question is; is it worth getting restored? I know new (back in the day) it cost £850. for frame only.
Any info or advice would be appreciated, also can anyone do the stencils for this bike? it looks tricky as the red lettering is from the red base coat with the black sprayed over the red, so the red lettering is recessed (if that makes sense?), as I can get it coated.
If anyone is interested in this project for themselves? then make me an offer.

Attachments

• Chas Roberts, A.F.Mills 001.jpg
    Chas Roberts, A.F.Mills 001.jpg
    62.4 KB · Views: 1,717
yes, but the service at roberts is crap I was quoted 3 weeks for a respray, and it was 3 months before I got it back. and I had to do all the chasing, I ended up having the frame resprayed and went to Argos who were fantastic..

Restore it back to its original glory. It will be worth it. :D

That would make a great project with some colour matched RC30s fitted although I'd be a little concerned about that big rust patch on the top tube

Yeah -the top tube is scrap, definitely. Looks like crash damage - so there is probably damage to the down tube aswell.

Coupled with the likelihood of rust in the seattube - you need a framebuilder to look at this before you decide.

But don't expect it to be cheap.

My Dave Yates cost me 200 quid to have a new seat tube fitted and the frame repainted. Wouldn't have it any other way though...

hey mate, welcome.

Ha ha, I was looking at that frame on your site, thinking similar things. Kind of wanted to take on the project myself. mmm, a nice gloss 50's grey with white decals. MMM. But alas, no more projects for me. Not until i am out of debtor's prison anyway.

Keep us posted.

Gil_M will sort you with very good decals if you don't go don the frankly expensive (I'd imagine) stencil route.

:D

Hey Mark - welcome to the site.

Sorry to disappoint you but I wouldn't bother restoring that frame - there appears to be too much structural damage. Paint doesn't flake off the top tube at that point for no reason. Internal damage unknown. Keep it as wall art if it has any sentimental value, otherwise scrap IMO. (although i will stand up and apologise if in six months time somebody showcases it in Reader Bikes!)

MadCowKev":n4ahh7wu said:
i am stupid :LOL: :LOL: (although i will stand up and apologise if in six months time somebody showcases it in Reader Bikes!)
thats gonna be my new project kev how rude are you :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

Any decent sign writer could make you up the decals.. Just lacquer over them with a decent 2K activated clear coat and they'll look like original stencils :)

Back