v-brakes, canti's and magura rim hydros.

dirttorpedo

Senior Retro Guru
From a retro bike purity perspective, when are these three styles of brakes appropriate for use in a build that is trying to be period correct?

V-brakes - 1996 and later?

Canti's - 95 and earlier?

Maguras - ?

The hardtail version of the Sbike 808 came with them as standard in either 1992 or 1993 (still figuring out the exact year of production). Same with the 909. No idea about other brands, as I'm not an expert on those.
Exact specs are hard to find, but I think that back in the days you only had the HS11 and HS11 RaceLine.
So yes, they've been around for close to 20 years, and haven't been developed that much over time. A tweak here, a new component there, and that's it really.

However the 808, the cheapest SBike they came with, was around £2600 ... in the early 90s. That was during the big economic recession. I guess that gives a good indication of what I mean with "high-end".

The brand of the bike is also important if you want to put Maguras on a bike and stay period-correct.
In Europe they had a rather big following and as a result the European manufacturers put them on their bikes, which is why they stayed in production until today. The Americans however mostly ignored them in favor of early disc brakes.
So if you're building an American-made bike and want to remain period-correct, stay clear of Maguras or any other type of hydraulic rim brake.

Raging_Bulls":103uqgoc said:
The hardtail version of the Sbike 808 came with them as standard in either 1992 or 1993 (still figuring out the exact year of production). Same with the 909. No idea about other brands, as I'm not an expert on those.
Exact specs are hard to find, but I think that back in the days you only had the HS11 and HS11 RaceLine.
So yes, they've been around for close to 20 years, and haven't been developed that much over time. A tweak here, a new component there, and that's it really.

However the 808, the cheapest SBike they came with, was around £2600 ... in the early 90s. That was during the big economic recession. I guess that gives a good indication of what I mean with "high-end".

The brand of the bike is also important if you want to put Maguras on a bike and stay period-correct.
In Europe they had a rather big following and as a result the European manufacturers put them on their bikes, which is why they stayed in production until today. The Americans however mostly ignored them in favor of early disc brakes.
So if you're building an American-made bike and want to remain period-correct, stay clear of Maguras or any other type of hydraulic rim brake.

Interesting. I do remember seeing them in the 90's as upgrades or custom bikes before the disc technology proved out. Now they are popular on trials bikes and dirt jumpers.

maggies are great! OK V's are lighter, less complex, cheaper and (depending on model) just as powerful in practise.

But magura's look like sex.

HS33's on my Proflex 856, 22's in the process of going onto my Canondale 400.

Love them

aardvarkash10":q1pfa6im said:
maggies are great! OK V's are lighter, less complex, cheaper and (depending on model) just as powerful in practise.

But magura's look like sex.

HS33's on my Proflex 856, 22's in the process of going onto my Canondale 400.

Love them

Heh, local guy is selling a pair of HS 33's for $60 and I was thinking that would be a nice strong cool looking period appropriate brake for my Hillside. Don't think its in the budget right now.

I was reading some reviews on MTBR about them - somepeople say they are a PITA to adjust and that they go out of adjustment regularly as the pads wear. Do you find them that way?

Maguras Hydrostops came equipped on pace rc100s from 1989. And had been around for a few years then. Obviously hs11/22/33 models are all later.

As for adjustment. The Evo clamps make life easy. Changing pads when they are gone is a synch they just push fit in. The early (still used in trials world) 4 bolt mounts are a faff to adjust. Can't see why you'd need to adjust for wear frequently unless you bodged the original install.

They have a reputation as the real fit and forget brake though, once installed, other than pad replacement you don't have to touch them.

Back