Replacing seat stay mounted U-brake with canti's/v's

Again i think why would you want to. I find U brakes to be superior to canti and v, the downside i find is that in mud your rims get eaten quick

from what i know (which isnt much) the bosses are also different, they lack the holes for the canti springs, and i think they may even be in a slightly different position on the stay so even brakes that dont need a spring hole wont work as the block wont meet the rim in the right place.

I use an AD999 modern BMX brake, and i cant fault it for stopping power :cool:. Its all lovely CNC too.

Rollercams will work on U brake mounts though, so are an option

yes the bosses are in a different position for U/Roller cam. Have new bosses welded.
You could fit Magura HS33 But the mounts will need filing so that they fit the fatter bosses of U
Or fit a modern U which are excellent and light to.

where are your bosses ?
under the chainstays like many frame with U brakes, or on the seatstays like the first c'dale ?

Thanks guys - that's what I thought. I didn't realize anyone was still making/selling U-brakes. Do they seriously work better? The U-brake is the reason I sold my Fusion. If it had had Canti's I would have kept it and upgraded it.

Properly set up Canti's and/or U-Brakes will work as well as any V-brake.

People think V-brakes are better because they're easier to set up.

Unless you love that frame a whole lot, it'd be a costly effort to swap from U-brake posts to canti posts. Different size and location. Plus having to repaint.

Get a bike with the canti mounts.

rumpfy":3koxnjc1 said:
Get a bike with the canti mounts.
I agree ;)

For the mud, there's a part of legend with the U brake. I've got U brakes and canti equiped bike. On all the bikes, when there's a lot of mud on the tire, the rear wheel can't turn. :D
If you really ride on a really muddy ground, the soluion could be… discs :? ,
And keep your vintage bike for more dryness grounds and you keep your bike original.
In don't really love to cut, weld transform an old frame. And the result would be far from what you expect.

Other solution, as writen up, is magura.

Back