KIRK FRAMES

rascal

Senior Retro Guru
Alright people,

I have fancied one of these for ages but have heard horror stories about breaks etc. I want one to use not just look at! any comments for or against would be appreciated.

Cheers,

Rascal

For the love of god please do not ride one. Me and my mate sam had a large number of these. They all cracked. only one let go (the whole left chain stay). kirk gave us replacement after replacement. look pretty, not that light and no rear wheel clearance. if its just for show maybe but you would not want to ride very far.

there are loads of horror stories regarding kirk frames.
mainly in respect of flex and cracking.
the flexing is an urban myth, but cracking did sometimes happen.
the main fault was failure of the bonnding around the b/b, headset, seat tube etc., where steel shims were inseted into the cast magnesium alloy frame.
i have a couple of mates who still ride their kirks but, to be honest, i would say they would be best suited to a road training bike.
hope this helps.

Kirks!

An old schoolfriend used to ride one and went through at least 3 frames, they all broke around the seat stays......may have had something to do with the Maguras he was using though :shock:

Cheers
Stu

Alright people,

Cheers for your help - I'm still trying to decide, so if anyone has anything good or bad to say drop me a line.

Cheers,

Darren

Frames go for £40 max , so you might as well buy one . If it breaks , keep it it as a memento .

oooo

well i had one of these back in the day and the bike shop had to take it back cos the drop outs fell out of some. so if it hasny got rivets in the drop outs dont tuch it then when i had my new one a few months down the line the bottom bracket area fell off. This was after a few weeks of funny creaking noises that we thought was the cranks luck was to have it i was just going uphill at the time and not doing anything daft.

We had one in for repair at the cycle shop i worked in.
I took it for the obligatory test ride and it felt i was riding a hunk of elastic!

Like they say.... nice to look at.

Back