'Alan' carbon and alloy frame: should I buy?

orange71

Retrobike Rider
Gold Trader
Feedback
View
are these any good?

89c5_1.JPG

Hi,

I have a mtb frame of the other early bonded frame maker, Vitus. I never asked myself whether it is any good ....BUT it sure is cool. Same applies to above Alan, even though I do not like the graphics really much.

I once heard on the Vitus that those with alu tubing are a bit tougher. The reason is that the alu tubing can be heated when making the conection. This then results in tighter fit when cold again. Don't know whether the same applies to alu vs carbon Alans.

Alan were very good for cyclo cross frames .

not sure on the decals for this one , it doesnt look original to me .

I think I have seen those decals on Alans for more recent yrs. I don't know till when they built this mountain frame. Maybe they are not original, but I don't say they are.

80...? Okay, depends on condition and whether the fork is included (would be nice if it is) ...but 80 does sound reasonable for a decent one to me.

A yr or so ago several NOS sets sold through German eBay (with other decals btw). They were considerably more expensive of course.

Going by the dropouts and seatlug, it's without a shadow of a doubt an Alan.

Just later graphics that's all.

the last few I have seen went for £120 and abve , so £80 is a good price .

Yea, I've seen them on the cyclo cross scene and they performed quite well, so I'd have a punt for £80 ;)

Back