Looking for advice

nocker999

Retro Newbie
Hello to all, first nervy post and all that, but I'm looking for some advice.

I've a rare Ltd Ed Aeroptrope Lotus MTB and at some point in the not too distant will be putting it up for sale, but having not really been involved in any kind of cycling community for a long long time I didn't really know where to start (was directed to here from bikeradar)

Ironically I thought simply sticking it on e-bay wouldn't be a good idea as any collector type interested would have to luckily chance upon it whilst browsing, but having been here for a little bit I see there's some beady eyes trained on e-bay for this kind of thing anyway, but any advice would be greatly received..

Secondly I hunted around when I first got it for some indication of value for insurance purposes but again hit a blank as there's been so few come up for sale in the past by the sounds. (to cover how I go it, it was presented to my dad as a gift, and he subsequently gave it to me)

If anyone knows anything, anyone or has any info I'd be very grateful

When I first got it, I did get in touch with the guy who developed it, but he had no idea on value either as he hadn't seen one for sale for so long, but it did mean I got to know what they went for new

As I say any info would be greatfully received, and I'll get some photos up soon if anyone wants to see it and a link to aerotropes site (can't post them on 1st post by the looks)

Link to aerotrope site..

http://www.aerotrope.com/bike.html

and a photo.. (sorry about distance, not my camerawork but hope to have some better pics sorted soon)..

LMTB1.jpg

Nocker, I know nothing of the bike, sorry not much use I know but welcome to the site from another newbie(relatively), but I like really like the bike! in a Penny Farthing type of way! :LOL:
No it's pretty cool :cool:

I remember a test on these from MBi in about 1994.

The Lotus branded carbon fibre bikes were released off the back of the Chris Bordman success on the Mike Edwards (?) designed track bike. Boardman went on to ride 1 TdF with moderate sucess in the time trials and now presents TdF on ITV4.
The Lotus bikes were distributed by Moore and Large (?) and were avalible in small quantities.

To be honest with you, the fact that Boardman never raced a Lotus bike competitivly on the MTB circuit, and the fact that the bike is not a well known machine makes it bloody hard to judge it's value. It is certainly of value to someone. Invite offers and use your judgment.

Rarity has a price. But it also limits the market.

I actually hope you keep it, ride it and join in the whole Retrobiking thing. A special thing that, a bike you have had since new.

All that 'Young' stick legs says sounds all correct from what i remember from that time period.
Just please change the seat to a 'vintage' flite And ride it. I like the frame. If i could i'd buy it (But money is too tight to mention) if only id seen it a few months back

Stick Legs":f9h1mzrw said:
I actually hope you keep it, ride it and join in the whole Retrobiking thing. A special thing that, a bike you have had since new.
Thanks for the info, yeah I was young enough ;) to remember Boardman etc, in fact it was around then I went off to uni and gave up cycling, well gave up doing any serious riding..

It's a bit of a case of one too many really, between me and my brother we've got an old Kirk Precision racer, one of the first prototype Kirk MTB's and a prototype Kirk time trial bike from when they were providing bikes to the TVM team back in the day [think it was TVM anyway, although not many of the pro's actually used them]).. in case you're wondering my bro used to work for Kirk..

Having got my road bike back up and running, I needed something to get my legs working again as it's got a straight through 18-12 block on the back and jumping back on it wasn't that easy :shock: :oops: so have been using the lotus to potter into work on, but living in a city centre I don't get too much opportunity to get out and about and use an MTB properly so it's pretty much a practicality thing (especially space)

tintin40":11i843rj said:
All that 'Young' stick legs says sounds all correct from what i remember from that time period.
Just please change the seat to a 'vintage' flite And ride it. I like the frame. If i could i'd buy it (But money is too tight to mention) if only id seen it a few months back
Yeah that was the seat my old man had on it for comfort.. its bordering on embarrasing if honest

..and did think it would pretty much be the frame that would be of interest, think it's got all the original components on (bar seat :p ), which I expect have been superceded many times since it was new..

Wow. You don't see many of those!

You're a lucky man to have one. Same comments on value / rarity. If money's not the issue, then consider loaning to a bike museum? Someone on here will probably have an idea.

It's a bit of a case of one too many really

You can never have too many bikes. Too little space - but then it becomes a question of priorities.

And welcome. Sounds like you have some stories to tell

Back