Mag21 steerer wierdness

jez-4-bikes-max

Kona Fan
Feedback
View
Look here. This miffed me last night:

I was fitting the pair of 1" steerered mag21's to the salsa last night:

The Salsa uses a Mountain Goat roller threaded headset.

The steerer was all set top go in and as I'm sliding it in and it gets abruptly wedged inside - it seems the lower portion of the mag21 steerer is wider then the diameter at the top part. Odd eh?

So....whats happening is the lower race inner cup is not allowing the steerer all the way through - it needs about an inch or so before it will go together.

Very odd. I thought at first the steerer was 1 1/8th - but it cant be for obvious reasons.

All I can think of is the headset just wont let 1" mag21 forks through. Unless I get a file out and start to address said blockage...either by taking off a little on the steerer or maybe the inner cup of headset.

Any thought sor experiences with this problem.

Attachments

• mag21.jpg
    mag21.jpg
    63.1 KB · Views: 1,145
Yes I agree -

...but wierdly enough I did have plans on using this Mountain Goat headset on the Mountain Goat. Incidentally, that uses mag21s too. Wonder if that setup would have the same problems...

Its obviously means the Salsa and the Mag's are faulty, so you should give them to me! ;)
Seriously, I'd try another headset before doing more drastic adjustments with a file.

This sounds the same as my SL 1-1/8th steerer.

My first attepmt was with an old king lower race that had been very slightly mis-shapen from dodgy removal, I had to get a new one. But the new race still needed more "persuasion" than usual to get it on, I used an LBS.

The newer (SL steerers) are tapered where as my standard mag21s had a stepped steerer.

Just a daft thought....

it hasn't been bent and then re-straightened leaving a slight bulge by the dent perhaps?

Thought that - nah it definitely hasnt been played with as you can see it tapers off. Must have been the way - saves using a crown race thingie to seat the collar in.

It should be a larger diameter to accept the crown race, 26.5mm for a 1" steerer I think it is.
Has the steerer pulled up out of the crown at all? Maybe its missing the circlip or whatever it is that stops it doing just that.

Back