Retrobike Forum Index

It is currently Sun Dec 04, 2016 7:42 pm

* Login   * Register * Search  * FAQ

Post subject: Pace RC200 advice
PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 10:03 am 
Retro Guru

Hi all,

Just wondered what your views were on the red rc200 frame crrently on ebay. Unfortunately i cant post a link to it.

It seems very cheap and the "slight crack" worries me, but i dont know much about the rc200. Is this a case of walk a way or not something to worry about.

Thank you in advance for your help.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 10:21 am 
Retro Guru

an old aluminium frame with a crack?

Walk away!

if it'sshowing signs offatigue then chances are it'll shortly show signs elsewhere, head-tube, BB etc!

Post subject: Re: Pace RC200 advice
PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 12:01 pm 
Lincs AEC
Lincs AEC

s_zigmond wrote:
Is this a case of walk a way or not something to worry about.

Ally frame with a crack, I'd run away!. As Joe says, it'll be fatigued elsewhere.

Pace rigs are nice, yes, but I'd suggest wait, pay a little more and get a good one.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 12:48 pm 
Gold Trader
Gold Trader

I bought mine is slightly scratched but otherwise excellent condition for £275. They are out there, just look carefully. Ask the seller some very specific questions and use the answers to hold him to account if the frame is not as described.

You want to know the following:

Is there any 'marbling' of the anodising? (indicating stress or bending in a specific area)
Is there any gouging of the metal because of crash damage?
Has the BB sleeve ever been replaced? (this can be due to ham fisted BB installation, however it is a common place for Pace's to crack and they could be making a problem)
Has the frame ever been welded? If so by whom? (Pace have replaced tubes for people. Your mate Darren cannot!)
Is the finish original? (Many people have had theire Pace's customised over the years, including a few people on this site. However view a non standard finish with a degree of caution, if everything else is fine, then proceed, if there is any doubt walk away.)
Do the headset cups fit snugly? (the frame may have lead a very hard life and the lower race an sometimes spread the frame)

Hope this helps. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 2:17 pm 
Retro Guru

That Pace frame looks like the one I sold recently on ebay. They even use the exact same description apart from it now has an added crack. I sold it about 2 months ago. YOu might wanna get pics of the crack, because if that turns out to be nothing its a good clean frame. Its a bit wierd though that its for sale again, and not from the buyer I sold it to. I'm pretty sure its mine, there arn't that many red F8's with Canti mounts.

Post subject: Cheers
PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 4:23 pm 
Retro Guru

Cheers for all your advice. I will keep looking. 1 final question, i have always wanted a RC200 since they came out. I plan to turn it into a single speed. Has anyone done this? Any advice, or reasons not to use an rc200 for this purpose?

thank you again

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 4:27 pm 
Gold Trader
Gold Trader

No reason at all not to use a RC200 for single speed, infact there is even a company (the owner of which is a well known face on here) that makes drop outs specifically for this purpose.

gil@thecycleshed.co.uk

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2007 2:43 pm 
Retro Guru

There's a fine looking 200f5 (ithink) circa 1997 frame for €350 on ebay.it at the moment. My Italian is frankly pants so I can't work out if the vendor will post to dear old blighty.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2007 3:10 pm 
Old School Grand Master
Old School Grand Master

WOW....a Pace owner who lives on the edge of Kinder......you lucky man!!! :D

Chapel Gate track is still one of the hairiest things I have ever been down on two wheels :shock: :shock:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2007 5:56 pm 
Retro Guru

Guess I am! Took eldest radarling(7) for a spin upto White Lady then down to the bottom of Coldwell Clough yesterday. Kinder really is a very special place. I get sort of complacent at times. I shouldn't!