Raleigh Montage or Massif Whats the Difference

velomaniac

MacRetro Rider
I thought I had a Raleigh Montage based on the colour scheme poking out from beneath the black matt hamerite finish on the frame I possess. However I have come across a Raleigh Massif with a similar spec and paint colour scheme. Both frames are lugged steel and I know the montage is Reynold 501 but not what the Massif is. I'm not convinced the frame is 501 based on weight but I could be wrong. So basically does anyone know if the Raleigh Massif has a Reynolds Steel frame or a cheaper tubeset as I'm beginning to wonder. Also does anyone know if either bike had Shimano exage as a spec level for its wheel hubs at any point in its production run or if this was likely to have been an aftermarket mod on the part of a previous owner ?

I know Raleighs are not greatly rated in the world of Reto Mountain Bikes but I've always had at least one Raleigh in my stable of bikes and a late 80's Raleigh hire bike was my first intro to MTB and gave me the bug !

Cheers for any help anyone can offer.

I think the massif was just plain guage lugged steel as opposed to reynolds 501 tubing on the montage .

Back