Retrobike Forum Index

It is currently Fri Dec 09, 2016 7:14 am

* Login   * Register * Search  * FAQ



Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 44 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Author Message
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2011 11:27 am 
Retro Guru

Joined: Mon Oct 05, 2009 10:58 am
Posts: 377
Location: Esix
im still racing, and still racing a 1997 hei hei.... (theres a pic on here somewhere of it on part of the olympic course).I have raced on both the explosif and a hei hei, and even back then my preference was for the hei hei, maybe it was ooh look shiny titanium thing but it was just a frame i got on really well with, and still do. I still love the tiny extra bit of 'comfort' it gives, esp over a 2 hour plus race.

Id love to be able to race them both back to back but unfortunately most of the explosifs I knew of from 96/97 were scrapped because of rust. Thatll teach us for not cleaning them after the winters series races...


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2011 12:53 pm 
Retro Guru
User avatar

Joined: Tue Aug 07, 2007 12:22 pm
Posts: 2942
Location: Platsa, Messinias, Greece
bigdawg wrote:
im still racing, and still racing a 1997 hei hei....
Id love to be able to race them both back to back but unfortunately most of the explosifs I knew of from 96/97 were scrapped because of rust.


Ah well, you're still a young fella though :wink:

Don't get me wrong - if I could find a late 90's Hei Hei the right size I'd have one like a shot - I've still got a '95 Columbus framed Explosif though and that did have a rare race outing a couple of months ago.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2011 12:56 pm 
Retro Guru

Joined: Mon Oct 05, 2009 10:58 am
Posts: 377
Location: Esix
Andy R wrote:
bigdawg wrote:
im still racing, and still racing a 1997 hei hei....
Id love to be able to race them both back to back but unfortunately most of the explosifs I knew of from 96/97 were scrapped because of rust.


Ah well, you're still a young fella though :wink:

Don't get me wrong - if I could find a late 90's Hei Hei the right size I'd have one like a shot - I've still got a '95 Columbus framed Explosif though and that did have a rare race outing a couple of months ago.


:D Thats just made my day!!

although I dont think everyone would agree 43 is young... My kids dont :oops:


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2011 1:01 pm 
retrobike rider
retrobike rider

Joined: Sun Sep 23, 2007 11:22 pm
Posts: 7306
Location: Hove
One reason for team riders' preferences could relate to the 2002 Rocky Mountain Element Team Scandium that I bought in 2003. I bought it off a (unknown to me) Rocky Mountain team rider, and the reason that she was selling it was that under her RM sponsorship she had a new frame to ride each season and got to keep the previous year's frame. If you get to keep the frame at the end of the season, you would prefer a ti frame to keep than a steel one. Only one reason out of many though, no doubt.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2011 1:20 pm 
Retro Guru
User avatar

Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 9:47 pm
Posts: 625
Location: Newbury, Berkshire
That's an interesting point Anthony.
I have replied to Joe's response and enquired if there are any other pictures available from 1996, apart from the one featured in the catalogue shown in your link.
Pip.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2011 7:21 pm 
Old School Grand Master
User avatar

Joined: Wed Feb 20, 2008 12:21 pm
Posts: 5785
Location: Lost in Translation
So what do we make of this?

http://fotos.mtb-news.de/p/1004045

(from http://www.mtb-news.de/news/2011/11/18/ ... 9er-fully/ )

'97 cable routing, Columbus decal, welded "bullet" chainstay ends...

:wink:


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2011 7:40 pm 
Retro Guru
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jul 15, 2008 7:20 am
Posts: 1823
Location: Austria
great find jim 8)

worth watching the embeded video - it's in english - interesting interview with Dr. Dew about history of Kona and views from behind the scene. Dr. Dew hes great sense of humor and at the end of the vid. he tells us about the advantages of german girls :lol:


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2011 9:51 pm 
Retro Guru
User avatar

Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 9:47 pm
Posts: 625
Location: Newbury, Berkshire
one-eyed_jim wrote:
So what do we make of this?

http://fotos.mtb-news.de/p/1004045

(from http://www.mtb-news.de/news/2011/11/18/ ... 9er-fully/ )

'97 cable routing, Columbus decal, welded "bullet" chainstay ends...

:wink:


Well done Jim,

That is a great find, and does shed some light onto what I was trying to discover.

The video with Dr. Dew is excellent - he is indeed a cool dude 8)

Anthony seems to be quite correct with regards to their laid back attitude towards any work activities.

Pip.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2011 10:35 pm 
retrobike rider / Gold Trader
retrobike rider / Gold Trader
User avatar

Joined: Sun Mar 21, 2010 10:18 pm
Posts: 3210
Location: "Guzz" .."House of Kona"..Gods Country
magas wrote:
great find jim 8)

worth watching the embeded video - it's in english - interesting interview with Dr. Dew about history of Kona and views from behind the scene. Dr. Dew hes great sense of humor and at the end of the vid. he tells us about the advantages of german girls :lol:


And the disadvantage of American girls :roll: ....they might need more practice :lol: ....what i will do is start a list for volunteers..

1 Ernie
2. Magas

:lol:

Ernie :wink:


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2011 10:37 pm 
retrobike rider / Gold Trader
retrobike rider / Gold Trader
User avatar

Joined: Sun Mar 21, 2010 10:18 pm
Posts: 3210
Location: "Guzz" .."House of Kona"..Gods Country
pipmeister wrote:
one-eyed_jim wrote:
So what do we make of this?

http://fotos.mtb-news.de/p/1004045

(from http://www.mtb-news.de/news/2011/11/18/ ... 9er-fully/ )

'97 cable routing, Columbus decal, welded "bullet" chainstay ends...

:wink:


Well done Jim,

That is a great find, and does shed some light onto what I was trying to discover.

The video with Dr. Dew is excellent - he is indeed a cool dude 8)

Anthony seems to be quite correct with regards to their laid back attitude towards any work activities.

Pip.


+ 1 8) ..Topman Jim

Ernie :wink:


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 44 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

All times are UTC [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: youngsspeed and 31 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  

About Us

Follow Retrobike

Other cool stuff

All content © 2005-2015 Retrobike unless otherwise stated.
Cookies Policy.
bikedeals - the best bike deals in one place
FatCOGS - Fat Chance Owner's Group

Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group