Retrobike Forum Index

It is currently Thu Dec 08, 2016 7:35 am

* Login   * Register * Search  * FAQ

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2007 3:51 pm 
retrobike rider / Gold Trader

i've been spending my afternoon playing around with polishing up components. i flatted back an old exage left hand crank with 240, then 400, then 600 grit wet and dry, only to realise that i dont have any higher grits
being resourceful (or "random" as the mrs calls it) i decided to try a few everyday household implements, and tried a few things ("pledge" as a rubbing compound only makes a mess) before settling on asda smart price "soap filled pads" (brillo pads to you and me, and 17p a packet)

for a 600grit flatting, i'm quite impressed with the shine they got up. doesnt show well on camera, and it's no mirror (gonna get some fancy sandpaper then try brillos again)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2007 5:22 pm 

Funny.
Reminds of a story a few years back when I was in a supermarket.
A man and his wife were really proud that they could bypass using toothpaste to clean their teeth with daily. They opted to use Lemon scented Jif (now called Cif) as it brought them up with a Whiter than White shine. They even showed them off to me. Very proud.

It is worth pointing out that I am educated and did understand the negative aspects of their new found idea, but they were not for telling.

Couple of months later, I bumped into them.
They explained how all their teeth had to be removed several weeks ago as they'd worn all the enamel off them and they went Black!!

True story!

I don't think your hands will fall off though...

Post subject: Brillo Pads
PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2007 6:35 pm 
Retro Guru

I have been using medium fine steel wool and soapy water to polish my 1991 Funk aluminum frame at the advice of Charlie Cunningham for the past few years, and it works great! It brings up a chrome-like polish that I then coat with car wax. This lasts several months and looks great! FairfaxPat

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2007 11:29 am 
Retrobike's #1 Comedy Genius
Retrobike's #1 Comedy Genius

Benandemu wrote:
They opted to use Lemon scented Jif (now called Cif) as it brought them up with a Whiter than White shine............all their teeth had to be removed several weeks ago as they'd worn all the enamel off them and they went Black!!

I bet they used Pure Bristle toilets brushes as well...................had to go back to paper eventually.............

Silly Sods...........and it begs the question, is toothpaste that much dearer anyway?