ID a GT please

AR-CoolC

Retrobike Rider
Picked this up this afternoon, but what is it.

DSC_0226.jpg

Interestingly there is internal cabling in the top tube.

DSC_0227.jpg

DSC_0231.jpg

Rear GT plate thingy is flat

DSC_0230.jpg

The decals aren't original, you can see where bigger ones were before.

What have I bought?

dunno ,but its nice never seen the top tube cable thing before
no doubt gm 09876 will know what it is

mike

It looks like a 92 Timberline or lower. But those brake bosses are not for a u brake which would make it later than 92. However they don't look original to me, So I still think it's a 92. The reason I'm fixed on 92 is the gearcable stops on the down tube are on the sides directly opposite each other rather than a bit further round towards the underside of the tube. I'm sure '92 was the only year they did that. Earlier Timberlines and lower took a 1" steerer (yours looks 1 1/8", yes?). 91 tequesta had 1 1/8" but it had removable seat post clamp and a 73mm bb shell (Yours is 68mm yes?). 92' Tequesta the same seat clamp as your frame but had vertical dropouts and 73mm bb shell. The 92 Timberline looks just like your frame, same dropouts, gearcable stops, 68mm bb shell, 1 1/8" headtube the only difference being the brake bosses and it also has bottle bosses on the seat tube. Could be your doesnt have them because it's a small frame.

Thanks James

Yes it's a 1 1/8th head tube, forgot to measure the BB. There is no serial number I can find, but the colour looks original.

The brake bosses appear original too.

Not bad for £1.04 though ey?

mikee":aq397tnr said:
dunno ,but its nice never seen the top tube cable thing before
no doubt gm 09876 will know what it is

mike

Exactly the same as my '92 Timberline and Tequesta frames.

I'm convinced it's a 92 Timberline, I'd stake my reputation on it :LOL:

weldings too neat for a lowly timberline
basides my 92 timberlime is not like that neithers my 91 tequesta or my 83 karakoram
its in the groove tube baby
this smacks of hi-end reynolds tubes
might be wrong tho and its a HGLo YAD gas pipe frameset

AR-CoolC":3msx1aad said:
Thanks James

Yes it's a 1 1/8th head tube, forgot to measure the BB. There is no serial number I can find, but the colour looks original.

The brake bosses appear original too.

Not bad for £1.04 though ey?

:shock: I payed £14 for mine :LOL:

Could you take closer photo's of the bosses as I'm still not convinced they're original. Nor the colour ;) GT only did crazy paint schemes back then, plain yellow wouldnt have cut it. Plus the decals were under the laquer so there would be witness marks where they had been removed.

Yeah I'll get better pictures of the bosses tomorrow.

With regard to the original decals, they appear to be the '93-on allGTterra type on the downtube, but the remainder seems to be a clear residue, deffinately not under any laquer.

There are residue marks from stickers on the top tube and chain stays.

Paint looks original too as there are no signs of any other colours visible in the chips :? although it is very thick.

a pound and four pence ?

you were done up like a kipper mate its only wurf £08.2 p imo

get it built and ride it mate
not sure what it is , but imo its not a mainstream GT steel frame

but as i said before GM 454354 will know

whats the weight and the sizes in " ct/ct ?

mikee":sdtv3yi7 said:
weldings too neat for a lowly timberline
basides my 92 timberlime is not like that neithers my 91 tequesta or my 83 karakoram
its in the groove tube baby
this smacks of hi-end reynolds tubes
might be wrong tho and its a HGLo YAD gas pipe frameset

You've got so many bikes dude you probably looked at the wrong one :LOL:

Reynolds was '98 and later. Vertical dropouts, no internal routing, curved end cap. Its 100% not reynolds. Everything Karakoram and up had vertical dropouts since '90. '89 karakorams had horizontal but the top tube cable routing entered on the otherside before '90. I can't see that well in the picture but I bet those dropouts have a bend between the two rack/mudguard mounts so that the seatstays sit a bit further apart than the chain stays giving more clearance for the chain when in the smallest cog. '90 and '91 didn't do that. '92 did. In fact I dont think there were two sets of mounts on any pre '92 dropouts.

Back