Retrobike Forum Index

It is currently Sun Dec 11, 2016 6:00 am

* Login   * Register * Search  * FAQ

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 31 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2011 10:52 pm 
retrobike rider
retrobike rider

mikee wrote:
a pound and four pence ? Yep :lol:

you were done up like a kipper mate its only wurf £08.2 p imo

get it built and ride it mate That's the plan, new bike for my daughter
not sure what it is , but imo its not a mainstream GT steel frame

but as i said before GM 454354 will know

whats the weight and the sizes in " ct/ct ?I'll check tomorrow, not sure if I have an inch tape measure :oops:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2011 10:57 pm 
Retro Guru

It's a '92 Timberline thats been modded to take V brakes. Paint it neon pink and built it :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2011 11:13 pm 
Retro Guru

Having just clicked on your link I've got a few sets of cheap but perfectly good v brakes here that I'll never use. I'll dig em out at some point and send you a PM.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2011 11:21 pm 
Retro Guru

Oooh and a set of forks :D . Colour won't match though so you will defo have to spray it neon pink 8)

Last edited by JamesM on Fri Jul 29, 2011 11:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2011 11:22 pm 
Retro Guru

Double post :oops:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2011 11:37 pm 
Retro Guru

I have a frame just like this hanging in the shed, but it is U-brake and was originally Daktari White. serial number under BB starts with T9110, and on the other side A034 and 2021 under that. 68mm BB shell. Number runs across the shell, rather than around (make sense?) I brought this one in the early 90's, and I seeem to rember it may have been an Avalanche, because the Timberline I had in the same colour had the groove tube. Cant be sure now, as I lent it to a friend, and got it back 20 years later refinished in matt silver :(

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2011 11:45 pm 
Retro Guru

Just noticed a difference, mine has a couple of rack mounts at the top of the seat stays. I reckon yours would have been removed when the brake bosses were shifted to suit V / cantis.?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2011 12:17 am 
Retro Guru

ozpete wrote:
I have a frame just like this hanging in the shed, but it is U-brake and was originally Daktari White. serial number under BB starts with T9110, and on the other side A034 and 2021 under that. 68mm BB shell. Number runs across the shell, rather than around (make sense?) I brought this one in the early 90's, and I seeem to rember it may have been an Avalanche, because the Timberline I had in the same colour had the groove tube. Cant be sure now, as I lent it to a friend, and got it back 20 years later refinished in matt silver :(

Daktari white was on the '91 Avalanche, vertical dropouts, 73mm bb shell, seperate seatpost clamp etc. Groove tube was '93 onwards. Daktari white Timberline was a '92 bike in the UK and had internal cable routing indentical to the yellow frame in this post. The ovalised top tube (where it meets the headtube) was only on Tange Prestige bikes (Avalanches team or otherwise) before 92, but they had vertical dropouts. The 92 Timberline and Tequesta had the ovalised top tube but the Tequesta had 73mm bb shell and vertical dropouts. So it has to be a '92 (gearcable stops on downtube scream '92 too), cant be a Tequesta or higher which leaves the Timberline or lower. I don't think the Talera had the ovalised top tube or internal cable routing. No rack mounts on the top of the seat stays on mine.

Maybe the austrialian range was different but I guess this is a uk frame!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2011 3:14 am 
Retro Guru

Sorry to hijack the OP's thread, but JamesM, now you have me curious to what I have. Discounting the colour scheme, which we know varies from market to market, this one has ovalised TT at the head tube, and ovalised at the seat tube / BB join. 68mm shell, vert dropouts, same seat clamp and cable routing as the yellow frame. Forks are 1 1/8" with normal dropouts, and all of the dropouts have a threaded rack mount eye. Thanks,
Pete

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2011 9:07 am 
West Midlands Deputy AEC
West Midlands Deputy AEC

ozpete wrote:
Sorry to hijack the OP's thread, but JamesM, now you have me curious to what I have. Discounting the colour scheme, which we know varies from market to market, this one has ovalised TT at the head tube, and ovalised at the seat tube / BB join. 68mm shell, vert dropouts, same seat clamp and cable routing as the yellow frame. Forks are 1 1/8" with normal dropouts, and all of the dropouts have a threaded rack mount eye. Thanks,
Pete

Pete,

Post a picture up :D

I reckon this yellow frame is 1991 or earlier. Reason for the 1991 or earlier is the internal cable routing on the top tube.

Depending on how old it is the horizontal dropouts indicate timberline or lower, although some of the older karakorams used to have horizontal drop outs as well I think.

Also it been converted to canti/V brakes at some point in its life.

Nice frame for a quid, they all ride really well I think - my Out Post was a blast :D

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 31 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next