Pace RC Sub130 bar - will it snap?

richwoodham

Devout Dirtbag
There's a Pace RC Sub130 bar on a bike I've recently bought, and I have a nasty feeling these were renowned for snapping back in the old days.

Does anybody have similar memories of this? Or maybe you've experienced it and happened to survive?

Thanks,

Rich

Yeh they were a little weedy. Too much of a weight weeny exercise if you ask me. Lovely bar though.

I wouldnt ride them in anger... :twisted: :twisted:

Well, it depends on weight and use.
I'm sure they carry a weight warning (as do most, if not all lightweight bars) with them.
My mate has used them from new and they've been faultless for over a decade, but he's only 10 1/2 stone. I use mine pretty hard, and I'm normally under 13 stone.
But they do creak!
Enjoy them.

I'm on my second bar....

First one I had lasted about 4 years, and only "snapped" out where one of the barends was clamped on after a hard crash. That said, it had been SERIOUSLY misused in the years up to that. I'd ridden it HARD in the Dark Peak area twice a week on a fully rigid bike, often with 1.5 Specialized Hard Pack tyres pumped up to 60-70 psi. I replaced it with an X-Lite titanium bar, which has also failed to snap, despite also having a poor reputation. When the chance came up, I bought another Pace bar, which is on my Dynatech with RC30 rigid forks and which has also been ridden hard. It's still like new.

So no I don't think it's any more likely to snap then any other alloy bar I could think of. Unless you're a big lad....

my set in '93 had "for one season's racing use" written on the box. !!! :shock:

...and they're still on my station runner. :shock:

...and I keep meaning to replace them. :shock:

They replaced them with the plus 130 Renthal bar, believed to be a bit stronger. :shock:

:shock:

i had one and never had any problems with it, quite a nice bar , sold it attached to a bike!

:D

Renthal

Being made by Renthal, they know a thing or two, but were designed for XC use only, which they would be fine with, but if you crash/fall with them or do drop offs-your asking for trouble!

manitou916":2yh9mlnz said:
Lovely bars. I've never had any problems with them either. I wouldn't worry about it... unless you're a naturally unlucky person ;)

or you're hard on bikes ;) pace could have kept making these bars.. but they didnt;t :LOL: ;)

Back