I Fancy An (On-One) Inbred - Modern content

letmetalktomark

Retrobike Rider
Gold Trader
Feedback
View
:shock: :shock:

My apologies for tarnishing what has been a forum for quality posts with a NON- RETRO enquirey – please be kind! :D :D

Does anybody own or has anybody owned an On-One Inbred?

At £125 or £139 for a frame they seem reasonable value – eastern made – but is that such a bad thing?

http://www.on-one.co.uk/page215.html

http://www.on-one.co.uk/index.php?modul ... on=298:298

Thinking of one to use as a half modern/retro hybrid. :LOL:

Thoughts please?

Many thanks,

Mark

:LOL: I take your point Max.

The Inbred has become the MTB equivelant of the roadies Ribble winter training bike.

There is nothing wrong with the Inbred, I have often thought of one for myself.

The thing is for a similar amount of money you could build a retro/modern hybrid, if that is what you want, and have something genuinely interesting.

My bro, who has just joined here as Disco D, has a Marin Tange frame (suspect it is just sub Bear Valley) and a pair of Mavic X717 on LX hubs he just got for litterally pennies. Built up with some Vees and a few choice parts from my shed gives him a great winter MTB which he can upgrade later.

My own winter bike is well on the way to being completed too (Orange based and that is all I am saying now).

On-ones are great value, and seem thoughtfully designed. I just prefer something a little more out of the ordinary for myself.

Haven't owned one, but often thought about it. Reasons why not:

1. weight of a DN6 frame is almost 5 lbs, cf my Kilauea, Lobster 853 4.2 lbs
2. dimensions - size 16 frame has a 23.2 top tube, as long as a Kona size 18, I'd need a very short stem for a bike that long
3. geometry is for 100-130mm fork, I'm a weight weenie and cheapskate, so all my forks are second-hand SIDs and not sure I want longer travel

Reasons why:
1. reasonable prices
2. Brant Richards knows what he's doing and I think he's an ok person to deal with
3. I'd guess the build quality and design will be spot on (the Kilauea was made in Taiwan, they're good at it)

Just not quite sure what you mean by modern/retro - with the long-travel fork it needs it's a straightforwardly modern bike, but a pretty good one.

I've recently acquired a first generation Inbred ss (no disc mounts) and have to say that it rides very nicely indeed. It obviously isn't retro but is retro inspired (sloping, long top tube with rigid straight forks etc.). As above with the "everyone has them" comments I'd suggest looking for a secondhand frame or bike as there always seems to be plenty for sale.

I'm not sure I would share the comments above about dealing with On-One though as with every purchase I've made I have received either faulty bits and pieces, something other than what I ordered or less than the total order.

I came across this frame recently, a Charge Duster, frame only it's £350 but it is Tange prestige.

I really like it and it's one of the few modern frame I've really been drawn to.

British company as well (although I'm not sure where the bikes are made). Could be a good alternative to an inbred.

http://www.chargebikes.com/products/frames/index.html

They do a ti version that seems to do well in reviews - £999

Been looking at the Charge range for a while now. Saw the range of bikes at the bike show (weekend gone)

They look nicely construted frame - but for this project (pulling together spare parts) it was the relative inexpensiveness of the frame that has drawn me in.

Don't get me wrong I realise that the Inbred is a cheap frame and will not be as desiarable as a curtis or charge - but for a basic rigid hack bike??

I was just interested to see if anyone has owned one and what their thoughts were?

Mark

:D :D :D

They are cheap bikes, sometimes well designed.

The steel ones are heavy.
Quality on my tinbred was not quite the best.. Alignment may not be as accurate as others, thread finishing, facing etc
The geometry on my old 3-4" ti was quite good for me.
There may have been issues with some of the slidy dropout designs, and the 29er front mech interference etc, so not all bug free

Just bear in mind they are cheap for a reason, and its fine.

Back