Show us your homemade tools

gerryattrick

Retrobike Rider
Feedback
View
To make things easier for myself I've made up a few tools to help with particular areas of working on bikes.

On the left is something that helps hold the BB removal tool in place when using the big spanner. Remove nut, screw bolt into axle and it holds removal tool in place and allows other hand free to hold frame steady.

The middle is a tooth syringe that comes in very handy when greasing headsets, BBs and hubs.

On the right is a bent spoke that holds the rear mech near to the chainstay to make removing and refitting chainlinks easier.

Nothing special and certain to have been done before/better, but they do make the jobs easier.

P.S. I find the best way of cleaning oily hands is used coffee grounds mixed with a bit of washing up liquid - much better & cheaper than swarfega.

What have you come up with over the years that helps make working on bikes easier for you, and could help others.

Attachments

• Tools.JPG
    Tools.JPG
    80.1 KB · Views: 2,871
I make bits as I need them - just sold (with the hub) tools for pressing in / out hope front hub bearings to another retrobiker :D

Nicest tool I have made is a adjustable wheel adaptor to hold the digi camber gauge for setting up my car :D

I am a bit limited now though with no access to a lathe / workshop :-( but have managed to cobble together a king headset press with some parts made by another member :cool: just needs anodising now ... :oops: :LOL:

WD :D

headset press

012-5.jpg

also made a truiing jig out of an old swing arm :)

Someone has access to a lathe to create the drifts for the press or did you buy spares from the park catalogue.

There's some nice stuff on here, I daren't show my headset press after seeing these stunners, although it does the job.

Top marks to the man with the bent spoke, that's a great idea. I'll definately be knocking one of those up for the toolbox :D .

Not quite on the same scale but I have found velcro straps useful as a third hand tool, especially tying the rear mech to the chainstay.

And I built a bike stand from an old pallet and offcuts of MDF. Bit wobbly but once bolted to a wall it'll be sweet.

I made a thread for this earlier this year, so apologies for showing it again. Home Made bike repair stand.

IMG_0259.jpg

Nowt to do with bikes, but a homemade tool nonetheless.
Crankshaft locking tool and pulley extractor for MKiv Toyota Supra. In 18mm polished mild steel.

DSCN7235.jpg

Back