Does anyone own a Steve Potts?

Iwasgoodonce

Old School Grand Master
Saw the name on Auction Watch, although one never seems to show up on the link; says a lot I'm sure.

Until I saw the web site the new bike buying schedule was set:
1. Sell Formula 27 sports car. (2L Alfa twin cam version).
2. Buy Giant Anthem. I know its new and full suss, but the back isn't what it was and I haven't seen a bad review about this bike yet!
3. Bask in the smugness of emptying the garage and only partially filling it again.

Now step 4. has pushed its way into the equation. I still love steel bikes. Mr Potts' work looks almost an art form. However, I already have a very good hardtail, a Bontrager Titanium. So what should I do?

Does anyone have one? What is the ride like? HELP!

On a tiny, cosy vintage meet some time ago a Potts paid a visit =>

picture

It's the only one I've seen live :p

A titanium Bontrager and any bike that has touched the hands of Steve Potts are not in the same category. Not by a long shot.

You don't ever see them for sale for a reason.

Yes - I've got a Steve Potts made WTB Phoenix singlespeed. Though it's only a frame in a box on top of a filing cabinet at work right now, because I'm buying a house and don't have the cash to build it up!

As a builder, I tend to be more critical of the typically unseen details of frames...a classic Potts would sit very high on my list of desired bikes.

Steves craftmanship is at a artistic level and truly exudes the passion of the builder. A testiment to the function is the fact that he is still producing fine works tha will be enjoyed and coveted for many years.

A fillet Potts would be a fine reason to can the boinger purchase without a second thought, bad back and all. ;)

cheers,

rody

Iwasgoodonce":q53mfb9y said:
Does anyone have one? What is the ride like? HELP!

i am the proud and happy owner of an old one and it is really a piece of art. but i dont know how it rides - riding this one would be like licking an unstamped blue mauritius and sticking it on an envelope... check on mtbr.com there are a few threads and those who are riding them seem to be pretty pleased. he doesn't make them in steel anymore, only ti so you would have to find an old one.

more photos are here

http://s99.photobucket.com/albums/l284/Klein_photos/1991 Steve Potts/

cheers, carsten

IMG_1875.jpg

I finally registered with Retrobike so that I could reply to this post.

I have a 1986 Steve Potts, which I purchased directly from Wildernes Trail Bikes and picked it up at Mark Slate's house way back when. How much do I love this bike? It is the only mountain bike that have owned or wanted since I bought it. I still ride it all the time and it still rides like a dream. I will post some pictures in the Readers Rides forum very soon.

Where did you see the one that got this post started? I would like to take a look.

Brownie in southern California

Back