Retrobike Forum Index

It is currently Wed Dec 07, 2016 7:36 pm

* Login   * Register * Search  * FAQ



Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Retro or classic
PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2006 1:40 pm 
Dirt Disciple
User avatar

Joined: Fri Nov 04, 2005 12:18 pm
Posts: 19
Location: NorthSea coast, The Netherlands
Why are old bikes called retrobikes?
Retro is, in my opinion, something new wich has influences of something old(er).

So is "Classic bike" not a better name for an old bike?

What do you think?

dusssss©


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Retro or classic
PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2006 2:23 pm 
Dirt Disciple
User avatar

Joined: Tue Feb 28, 2006 3:04 pm
Posts: 99
Location: pennsylvania, usa
BOSS wrote:
Why are old bikes called retrobikes?
Retro is, in my opinion, something new wich has influences of something old(er).

So is "Classic bike" not a better name for an old bike?

What do you think?


well, i think it depends on your definition of 'old'. most of the bikes i see discussed here are from the 80's and 90s. as far as cycling goes, that is not 'old' by any means and i don't think they can yet qualify as classic bikes. maybe classic moutain bikes, but that gets to some fine detail.

what you say about retro is true, and depending on perspective these retrobikes are new with influences of bikes created 50 years ago. i liek the term...though i don't actually use it in person. :wink:


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2006 2:49 pm 
Old School Grand Master
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jul 05, 2005 3:14 pm
Posts: 13405
Location: Warwick
"Retrobike"


Its a brand new term that will soon appear in the oxford dictionary.



So I've heard.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Retro or classic
PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2006 2:52 pm 
Dirt Disciple
User avatar

Joined: Fri Nov 04, 2005 12:18 pm
Posts: 19
Location: NorthSea coast, The Netherlands
weps wrote:
BOSS wrote:
Why are old bikes called retrobikes?
Retro is, in my opinion, something new wich has influences of something old(er).

So is "Classic bike" not a better name for an old bike?

What do you think?


well, i think it depends on your definition of 'old'. most of the bikes i see discussed here are from the 80's and 90s. as far as cycling goes, that is not 'old' by any means and i don't think they can yet qualify as classic bikes. maybe classic moutain bikes, but that gets to some fine detail.


I was refering to MTB's of course..........

dussssss©


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2006 3:07 pm 
Old School Grand Master

Joined: Wed Jun 29, 2005 11:18 am
Posts: 15806
Location: near cwmcarn
doesnt mean jack ;) although it doesnt apply to the true meaning of retro according to the dictionary, its so widely used as to be accepted.

mac struts on early 90s XC FS bikes werent really like mac strut suspension units used in cars, but the name stuck anyway :)


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:21 pm 
Concours Judge
Concours Judge
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jul 06, 2005 3:59 pm
Posts: 8171
Location: a proper EU country
For me roughly the 'old' MTBs are still the norm, so Classic also doesn't really do it for me. From this perspective Retro would do even better, as they also refer to yesteryear :wink:

- Melvin


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:37 pm 
Dirt Disciple
User avatar

Joined: Fri Nov 04, 2005 12:18 pm
Posts: 19
Location: NorthSea coast, The Netherlands
For me classic or old skool would do the trick.

Retro sounds to modern.

dussssss©


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:52 pm 
Concours Judge
Concours Judge
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jul 06, 2005 3:59 pm
Posts: 8171
Location: a proper EU country
On my 1988 Koga I miss the modern feature HG. All my other bikes are modern. Most later innovations I consider abundant or a mistake.

- Melvin


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2006 5:45 pm 
Dirt Disciple
User avatar

Joined: Fri Nov 04, 2005 12:18 pm
Posts: 19
Location: NorthSea coast, The Netherlands
Elev12k wrote:
On my 1988 Koga I miss the modern feature HG. All my other bikes are modern. Most later innovations I consider abundant or a mistake.

- Melvin


Right but you're not normal :wink:

dussssss©


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2006 9:01 pm 
Old School Grand Master

Joined: Wed Jun 29, 2005 11:18 am
Posts: 15806
Location: near cwmcarn
- Melvin[/quote]

Right but you're not normal :wink:

dussssss©[/quote]

yeh, but whats normal anymore? spending vast sums building 12year old bikes? riding £4K bikes that can only go DH or riding fixed gear s.speeds? :lol: :wink:


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

All times are UTC [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: aldursil, IHateRain, MSNbot Media, raidan73, TheGreenRabbit and 22 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  

About Us

Follow Retrobike

Other cool stuff

All content © 2005-2015 Retrobike unless otherwise stated.
Cookies Policy.
bikedeals - the best bike deals in one place
FatCOGS - Fat Chance Owner's Group

Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group