My 1989 Formula Orange....

Bedazzled13

Retro Newbie
I have just rediscovered my Formula after it has been consigned to the garage(s) for the last 12 years. Its a bit tatty and needs (and will receive) some some TLC over the next few months.

I bought it in 89 through Topmark cycles in Barrow-in-Furness and went to Lester Noble's (Barn Conversion near Penrith I seem to remember) to pick it up. I think I still have the Orange Racing kit he threw me when I went.

As for its condition, the seat post is stuck in the frame, seat clamp bolt is missing, stem/bars needs a respray, new tyres, cables, chain and a damn good clean should see it looking respectable again. One thing is that some of the decals are scratched and I can't imagine they are easy to come by. Any suggestions?

I will try and get some pics that will upload if anyone is interested...

I've seen Clockwork decals on Ebay but not 'Formula' stickers. Good luck with your bike - I'm rebuilding my 1990 Clockwork at the mo that's in a similar condition to how yours sounds.

A few pics of my bike (hopefully)

Attachments

• DSC00506.JPG
    DSC00506.JPG
    39 KB · Views: 3,539
  • DSC00509.JPG
    DSC00509.JPG
    25.1 KB · Views: 3,539
  • DSC00510.JPG
    DSC00510.JPG
    33.3 KB · Views: 3,537
  • DSC00511.JPG
    DSC00511.JPG
    34.6 KB · Views: 3,539
ooooo get this properly restored!

Lovely bike, rare as, and deffo a keeper. Dan on here had a black one, but it broke.

Speak to Orange, see what they can do for you

Wow - I have an article that I've read and re read for years but I've never seen one. Would love to see some more pics - the geometry looks very interesting around the top of the seat tube.

It's very rare so take it easy on the seat post, the paint will be hard to replicate - see what a clean and polish does for you.

Contact gil_m on here - he does repro decals that are very good, I doubt he will have these on file but he will give you good instructions on photos to take so he can make some - the silver formula might be tricky. Don't peel them off until you've taken some real good close ups and measurements.

Also talk to orange - you never know what they might have stashed away for something special.

Brocklanders23 will wet himself when he see's this!

gump":4475pxby said:
ooooo get this properly restored!

Lovely bike, rare as, and deffo a keeper. Dan on here had a black one, but it broke.

Speak to Orange, see what they can do for you

2nd that. Keep us up to date :D

Latest posts

Back