But why a Retro Bike?...

Augustus

Retrobike Rider
Feedback
View
Ok so we know why you ride...been there, asked that. But why do you choose an old bicycle to do it on? I'm sure most of us have got a 'modern' ride too, but what makes you go out on ye olde fashioned one instead?

*Luddite? :roll:
*Too tight to buy a new one? :cry:
*Want to look cool and 'O Skool'? :cool:
*Haven't realised that bikes have in fact moved on and have brakes that work and everything nowadays? :oops:
*Just prefer a simple bike from the days when graphics and paint jobs weren't designed by 12yr olds with no sense of a design history. (ouch!) :twisted:

Why, people???

Me, I like to ride a modern bike with a retro soul...(much like baggy shorts - retro is a state of mind).

So why do you ride........Retro?

:?: :?: :?:

Got into it , when I realized I could not afford a new bike . So I though it would be a great idea to find an old good bike ( zaskar it was ) .
In fact it was a bad idea as I have now spent a lot more on retro parts than I ever will on a modern bike . :LOL:
And I can now afford all the shiny bits I could not when younger .

but I am now building a modern bike to save the retro ones for dry rides . ;)

I answer D) All of the above.

Partly as well its like any of the 'Collectable' niches- we're big enough now to buy all the toys we wanted when we were wee.

Lysander":rtsiisif said:
we're big enough now to buy all the toys we wanted when we were wee.

I think that maybe sums it up! Although I'm about to build another 'replica' - my own 93/4 race bike but with a modernish twist - which will become a regular rider. Frame (hopefully) crossing the Atlantic now!

(I did buy an Inbred for really sh*tty days though :oops: )

They are way cooler, and have fun and creativity in the design..

Modern bikes are all so similar and boring, and work! ...

Hilts":13aj8tog said:
They are way cooler, and have fun and creativity in the design..

Modern bikes are all so similar and boring, and work! ...

Agreed :)

Lysander":2wmjkj2w said:
I answer D) All of the above.

Partly as well its like any of the 'Collectable' niches- we're big enough now to buy all the toys we wanted when we were wee.

Spot on Lysander (and Wu) Plus i just hate modern mtbs (except if i lay my hands on a 2007 Trimble :? ) I had fond memoeries of my youth - bikes, hi-fi, films so on oldly enough not girl friends from that time, they are best forgoten. :LOL:

built from proper materials
what's not on it does not break
elegant
not a result of outsourcing and labelling
for 1 new bike you can buy a shed old ones
easy maintance, cheap widely available spares

elegant...there's a true word spoken.

Let's here from some of the newer members too...

what draws you 'home' to this - the happy place...? Why are YOU keepin' it real?

:)

They were new when I bought them......but that was a long time ago....

Now, I'm pleased to discover they are retro :cool:

so I guess I'm retro by default, I just haven't moved on :?

Back