Retro Decals.

Will Palmer

Retro Guru
Feedback
View
Can anyone help me with somewhere that can supply full sets of decals for my '93 and '94 Kona Cinder Cones?

They're both candidates for resprays and I've found someone who'll do them in the original manufacturers colours for a very agreable price but I don't want to get them done unless I can replace the decals...

Will Palmer":2h90qah5 said:
They're both candidates for resprays and I've found someone who'll do them in the original manufacturers colours for a very agreable price ...

I have a 1993 Explosif that I'd like resprayed in the original colours, can you tell me who you are getting to do the job.

mousemat":tyeuvx7w said:
Will Palmer":tyeuvx7w said:
They're both candidates for resprays and I've found someone who'll do them in the original manufacturers colours for a very agreable price ...

I have a 1993 Explosif that I'd like resprayed in the original colours, can you tell me who you are getting to do the job.

Hmmm, now let me see, who in Bristol does a nifty job of painting Konas? As in, makes a rather better job of painting Konas than Kona does? Hmmm.

The place I'm talking about is Argos Racing Cycles in St. Annes, Bristol.... They've been recommended by quite a few people and sem to know their stuff!

Unless anyone knows any better places :eek:)

Will Palmer":13nfpnqu said:
The place I'm talking about is Argos Racing Cycles in St. Annes, Bristol.... They've been recommended by quite a few people and sem to know their stuff!

Unless anyone knows any better places :eek:)

They did a fantastic job on a Caldera that Kona UK sent them for me. Paint way way better than Kona paint and a soooo classy little sticker at the bottom of the seat tube, very simple and unpretentious, just saying Stove Enamelled by Argos Racing Cycles. Class.

I had my Breezer resprayed at Argos, with new decals too. Fantastic finish, but just be aware that the paint isn't the toughest around, especially when it's first done. Suggest you buy some helicopter tape.

OK let's be a tiny bit more critical of Argos then:

1. they do stove enamelling, not powder coating - this looks fantastic, but maybe it's not as tough as powder coating? So maybe more suited to road bikes than mtb?

2. to go back to the thread title, although Argos call their service renovations, they didn't offer me the right decals. In fact, they put current Caldera decals onto a 1999 steel frame, which looked slightly wrong because they were designed for fat alloy tubes and were too big for skinny steel ones. As they're the official Kona renovators, I was a bit disappointed that they didn't have stocks of the correct decals. You can't call something a complete renovation unless you have the proper decals IMO.

Back