Question about American Classic hub

Void(EN12-82)

Senior Retro Guru
Feedback
View
Hi all,

Just received my front and rear wheels back for my KLEIN Rascal (yeah it's still in build-up phase). Rear wheel is a Mavix rim with XT M732 hub, no problems there. Front wheel has no problems either. It's a Mavic rim with an American Classic hub, like the one on top of this page http://www.bikepro.com/products/hubs/hubs_american.html (so the black one with purple skewer, but mine's silver).

Front wheel has no problems in that it really spins smooth and all... but strange thing that I noticed is that when the wheel is in the fork (Tange Switchblades), there is veeeeeeery little play from side to side. Now I was wondering, is this normal with these kind of hubs? And with "these kind of hubs" I mean that this is a hub with industrial sealed bearings pressed in (new ones are in there, btw) and then there are two kind of "caps" that slide over the axle against the bearings (I think much like BullsEye hubs have too).

This is the first hub I have with this kind of setup, so I was wondering if any of you guys know if that little play is normal (and it's really only very little) or if there is something I have to use to fill up those caps to get that play out, or maybe the internal axle might be a bit too long so them caps don't close right against the bearings or what?

Thanx for the help again :)

Void(EN12-82)

D*man I gotta learn to read stuff :oops:

OK, so I found out that there is obviously supposed to be some rubber O-ring on each side between the axle and end-cap... anyone know what these would look like? Or maybe have a link/scan to some manual from this hub (can't seem to find it on the ac website).

Void

Back