Retrobike Forum Index

It is currently Wed Dec 07, 2016 7:59 pm

* Login   * Register * Search  * FAQ

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 62 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2011 10:55 pm 
retrobike rider
retrobike rider

pete_mcc wrote:
rosstheboss wrote:
If we were a country, we'd be the 216th biggest in the world!!!

...but we'd rank as the most illiterate in the world as 10,000 of us have posted less that 6 times.

....which makes sense as the oldest member is only just putting their birthday list together for their 6th birthday.....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2011 10:59 pm 
The Guv'nor
The Guv'nor

Maybe I should do a 20 questions with me about how the site started. Sadly I'm not so interesting so will probably give that a miss ;)

To summarise started getting into the retro stuff late 2004. There were (and still are) a couple of sub forums on other boards dedicated to retro / vintage along with the odd thread on other more mainstream boards. At the time there was no dedicated retro mtb site so I set one up and the rest is history. All sounds so simple when put like that.

pete_mcc wrote:
rosstheboss wrote:
If we were a country, we'd be the 216th biggest in the world!!!

...but we'd rank as the most illiterate in the world as 10,000 of us have posted less that 6 times.

Just to make Tintin40 wonder what he does with his life, he has posted more frequently in the 4 years he's been here than the bottom 10,500 members have done all combined! :shock:

There is certainly a silent majority on this and most other forums.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2011 11:25 pm 
B.o.T.M. Winner / Feature Bike
B.o.T.M. Winner / Feature Bike

rosstheboss wrote:

....which makes sense as the oldest member is only just putting their birthday list together for their 6th birthday.....

..and that John joined a few days after the website started!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 8:41 am 
Gold Trader
Gold Trader

I've said it before - but I'm not sure any one was listening - Retrobike is the best damn site on the web! :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 12:20 pm 
North Wales Deputy AEC
North Wales Deputy AEC

I think I'm No. 275 (April 2006) - I remember I was about to buy a Pompino at the time and had just got back into XC racing after a three year break, having retrieved my dormant Ballistic from the shed.

The fledgling site immediately tapped into my personal mountain bike history and raised my cycling ambitions - the Pompino was considered to be folly; eBay became my new church; the Ballistic was enthusiastically repainted and rebuilt and I bought my first official retro bike (a Nishiki Alien) from the USA before heading off to my first Retrobike rideout in Cannock, November 2006.

Watching the site grow over the next two or three years was an unadulterated pleasure - I've met some real characters and real friends along the way; was inspired to go to Fairfax and ride Repack; supported in making OWMTBC happen (with EdEdwards); and, most importantly, have been back riding ever since.

JV deserves every tribute, not only for making the site happen when others may just have talked about it, but for keeping it going under the often relentless and tedious task of, what is euphemistically known as 'moderation'. Running public forums is a near-soul destroying task (don't whinge about forums until you've tried to manage one for more than a year...); hence the recent trend for private forums, I'd guess. However the spirit created on this open site has reached life-affirming levels at times - a true measure of his efforts and those of the the vast majority of generous, willing and enthusiastic contributors.

Last edited by mrkawasaki on Wed Jun 01, 2011 11:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 7:13 pm 
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Congratulations, John!
#3221 here (but #17 in total number of posts) :oops: :D

John, any stats on how how the 15,000 break down (i.e. which countries are represented in that number, etc...)?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2011 4:37 am 
Old School Grand Master

Amazing John. Great site. Continued growth to you.

1585th to sign on back on 10/20/07, 60th in posts....the Mrs. says I have the most bikes but I know there's a few with more :shock:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2011 2:53 pm 
retrobike rider
retrobike rider

thanks john for a great site, but not for what you have done to my wallet! :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2011 7:52 pm 
retrobike rider
retrobike rider

Well done John for creating ( and policing at times) such a welcoming on line community

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2011 7:58 pm 
iconoclassic best in show
iconoclassic best in show

:lol: Brrrilliant :lol:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 62 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next